Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

Travel Time: Lay-over in Singapore

Arrived in Changi Airport at 16:25 and we had cleared customs and was able to get our checked in Luggage. Immediately looked where we could put our luggage in and Calvin asked me to ask airport staffs for it. So when I asked the security, he was pointing to the right but said left baggage. I did not understand him and it made me confused, still thanked him, and went out to the information desk while Calvin exchanged 100 USD to Singaporean Dollars. This time, I got the impression that it is behind somewhere with “Swnsns” or something like that. So after changing the money, we walked our way to the end of the right side of the airport directly after going out of the departure door and found that it was behind Swensen’s and the name was Left Baggage. I first thought it was about a direction, which I later realized. That was bad for me not checking about our trip ahead of time.

Anyhow, we were lining up and it took us quite a lot of time to leave our luggage due to customers not being able to understand what the old employees mean and vice versa. To our surprise, instead of leaving one huge luggage and two cabin luggage, we ended up leaving one huge luggage and one cabin luggage as the cost increased few days before our arrival.

We quickly went to another level lower to get our MRT passes/tickets. We lined up at the General Ticketing Machine (GTM) but it only receives a certain amount of purchase and can only provide a change of up to $4. Thus we decided to go to the ticketing office instead. We initially plan to get a 1-day pass but it only ends at 12mn and we will still be in the country the next morning. Thus, Calvin decided to buy a 2-day pass for the both of us. We also got a guidebook for the train stations and what we can do in Singapore.

Off we rode the MRT from the airport to our destination, Mountbatten, where we have to walk for around fifteen (15) minutes to arrive at the booked Hotel. We had to get off at another station first and ride another train for it.


It was already six (6) in the afternoon when we got out of the station and it was such a surprise to me that the sun was still shining bright like it was still around three (3) to four (4) in the afternoon. The streets was also very quiet, there were lots of cars in the road but there was no traffic jam, and it was clean except for small litters from candies and such.


One of the CCTV cameras.
The place is so peaceful and quiet and it did not seem like a city I am used to, car horns, boisterous people walking around, streets full of vendors, polluted air from gas emissions, and others that would represent a city. It feels like if I talk loud, it will echo around and everyone could hear me. Also with all the security cameras anywhere, I would not dare do something that might make me fly back to my country. Oh! There were plenty of expensive cars too, name them, they have it running or parked around the city.
This is 18:00.
There was an accident and in less than 5 minutes, the ambulance arrived and it did not affect the traffic at all.
We checked in at Golden Star Hotel. It was the cheapest hotel that we could find, a place where we can leave our other things inside while we go and roam around the city. We do not have breakfast included that was why it was cheaper.

Around 19:00, we were on our way to Bugis by walking from Esplanade station. The thing was, the station was so big with all the food, clothing, and other shops surrounding it. When we finally found the exit it was getting dark and we had to walk fast as it was another fifteen (15) or more minutes away.

Our reason why we NEED to go to Bugis, was because of Bon Chon Chicken. We both love the chicken when we were in the Philippines, and it would be nice to be able to experience another taste and compare if they are the same or not.

The bar.
Apparently, Bon Chon is not a fast food restaurant in Singapore, but a normal restaurant with even a bar. We had to wait in line since the tables were mostly full; the restaurant was so busy compared in Cebu. We were next to a group of three Singaporean who were talking to themselves. While waiting, we were able to look at the menu and decide what to order. The cashier then was really nice and very accommodating. She was happily talking to us and lucky that there was one table available good for two that we were able to sit down in less than five (5) minutes wait. We also ordered the ones we usually get but there are no honey flavor, thus we just got both soy and spicy, a bibimbap, and some drinks.

A can for the bones and other trash and a wet tissue.
Service was fast, in one minute, drink was served. In less than five (5) minutes chicken were served and later the bibimbap was served. The funny part while we were eating was that in my right side they were talking about Filipinos and a few minutes later about Vietnam. While on my left side they were talking about Vietnam. We did not mean to eavesdrop, but their voices were loud enough for us to hear and understand what they were talking about.

After paying for the meals, we walked ahead and our destination was the Marina Bay Sands. How? By walking.
So we walked all the way to our destination. Not that far. It was nice to walk around after eating too.



No Merlion to be found because it was taking a shower, thus just some photos of the Marina Bay. While taking photos, suddenly a group of photographers surrounded us to take a photo of the Jubilee Bridge and others.

We left the area and walked in the bridge to the double Helix, to the Gardens and to the MRT after taking photos and wanting to go home. We got off at the Stadium, one reason was that it was the last stop of the train we were taking and another reason is to look at posters to see if FT Island would really perform there the next day for their concert which I found in Facebook.





To the Marina Bay MRT Station
We found a convenience store near the Stadium, so we bought noodles and some drinks for tomorrow’s breakfast. From there we walked again to our way to Golden Star Hotel which took us around thirty (30) minutes from going up and down two overpasses and we were slowing down because of exhaustion. There were few people walking at night still it was safe.

We arrived back to the hotel at around 22:30 or something. The next day, we just prepared ourselves and our things and rode a train to go back to the airport. It’s time to return the MRT passes, get our deposit back, and our luggage back.

Our flight was at lunch time, so we had to be there early.
One thing we learned, it could have been cheaper if we just got the 1day pass of the MRT and just book a taxi from the hotel to the airport. But our budget was enough for what we wanted. Although we had extra expenses due to flying You can check out my earlier post about it. Here.
Morning view to the East side to the station from the hotel room in the 7th floor.
Morning view to the stadium from the hotel room in the 7th floor.

8:00 in the morning.

 The lounge for passengers departing the airport.

Here's a cat we found on our way to Mountbatten station. A shy one.

This post first appeared on 7 TIPS EVERY BUDGET TRAVELER WOULD SURELY APPRECIATE, please read the originial post: here

Share the post

Travel Time: Lay-over in Singapore


Subscribe to 7 Tips Every Budget Traveler Would Surely Appreciate

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription