The rapid evolution of Social Media platforms is inevitable—whether those changes are positive or negative. The latest algorithm update from Facebook may cause a bit of controversy for some, but others it may be a positive change.
We have all seen the ad’s on our feeds—videos, product placement, brand messaging in all forms. While some effective for a company, the consumer may not fully agree with the constant push of information. The new algorithm will include three main changes:
- Less public content will be shown (videos and posts from publishers or businesses).*
- Reach, video watch time, and referral traffic from Pages will decrease.*
- Posts will be ranked differently, giving priority to “posts that spark conversations and meaningful interactions between people,” according to Facebook.*
The opportunity to market with public ads will be even harder with fewer people exposed to the message and competition for creativity will be higher than ever in order to get interactions with a post.
But, with those changes will come the opportunity to adapt and alter your Social Media Strategy. While we might not know exactly what the effect of these changes will bring, there are still ways to continue reaching an audience.
- Continue to created engaging content that encourages conversation. Content creation has always been critical but will be more important than ever as the algorithm rolls out. Customers already want to see engaging conversation—but how do you make your posts even better.
- Push out live video—engage with your audience in real time. Live videos lead to six times the interaction as regular videos, according to Facebook. In Facebook’s announcement, it said this will be one of the few concrete strategies that will work with the new algorithm.
- Increase your ad budget. You must know how to target your audience even better now and with a higher budget you can narrow down the audience to exactly what you need.
- Avoid the strategy of “engagement bait.” Don’t ask individuals to comment. These types of conversations aren’t as meaningful as sparking conversation on a topic that your audience truly cares about.
The Facebook algorithm will bring some change and an opportunity to alter your social media strategy with impactful, engaging content for your audience. There will still be ways to reach your customer—it just may take a little more time and energy. We all know the effects of social media and if used correctly, it could lead to a successful brand.
PilmerPR can help you with developing a strong PR strategy that will influence how you choose to market your brand on social media.
The post Facebook alters algorithm– what does this mean for brands? appeared first on PilmerPR.