By Denise Turney
Love is our anchor. Doesn’t matter if we vow to remain single and on-our-own for the rest of our physical experience. Love calls. Add in the mind’s power to push us headlong into fantasy and illusion, making relationships turn out the way that we imagine (but, only in illusion), and it’s easy to see why the emotion of “love” is so addictive. In the world of romantic illusion, we get to rule. We get to make relationships (even if only in our heads) turn out the way that we want them to. Is this what makes online dating so appealing?
Curbing Online Dating Risks
After all, online dating allows us to create profiles that may be rooted in fact or a lot of make believe. For example, if you’re 4’11” in height, you could post at your online dating profile that you’re 5’7″ tall. Who would know?
Also, while dating online, you could misrepresent your age, career field, childhood and a host of other items. Of course, the people who you connect with using online dating apps could lie to you too. But, that’s a part of offline dating as well. It is, at least for people who don’t really want true love.
Which points to the topic of this blog article. What if you really do want true love? To get there, forget making the relationship up in your imagination and then expecting anyone to live up to your inner script. Don’t do it. It’s just a great way to set yourself up to feel frustrated.
Even more, to save yourself the emotional pain of getting played, follow Road Rules. Check out these online dating road rules that could save you heartache, not to mention hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Easy Online Dating Road Rules
- Avoid sharing too much information online, including within your online dating profile.
- Don’t use gifts to convince yourself that someone loves you. The person may appreciate the gifts. But, that doesn’t mean that the person loves you.
- Meet the person you’re dating online in person in a safe, public place. Meet in person early to avoid creating fantasies and illusions that could, over time, seriously cloud your judgment.
- Really get to know the person before considering introducing her or him to your extended family, including your children.
- Check statements and facts that people share via online dating apps. Search engines make it easy to check facts, statements and backgrounds.
- Give yourself time to get to know someone you’re thinking about dating online.
- Listen to feedback that relatives and friends share about the person you started dating online.
More Online Dating Road Rules
- Practice safe financial skills. Do not share your financial information, including bank accounts, with an online (or offline) date.
- Don’t send online dating partners money or ship products for them.
- Get to know family members, friends and colleagues of the person who you’re dating online. This way, you can start to get other perceptions of the person. In turn, this may help prevent you from creating fantasies or illusions of the person you met online and are now dating.
- Nurture and grow offline relationships with friends, relatives, colleagues and neighbors.
- Live a rich life. Avoid isolating yourself.
- Be honest with yourself and the person you’re dating online. Acknowledge what you see and hear.
- Don’t make excuses for your online date.
- Remember that your online date is not here to save you. Regardless of how online dating goes, you’re still responsible for navigating this world’s highs and lows, twists and turns.
Be Smart Dating Online
A final thought – Who doesn’t want love, to join with and actually feel a part of love? Who doesn’t want to give and receive love in its purest forms? Love is beyond amazing. There really are no words to define or accurately describe it.
Love is too big to be defined or described. It encompasses everything real. And, it flows, seemingly changing at whim. But, that doesn’t mean that you should toss common sense to the wind and run off with every person who tells you that she or he loves you.
Right now, every person may not be ready to love, even if she shouts that she is ready. This applies with online dating and offline dating. Therefore, consider practicing a few online dating road rules while searching for a deeper relationship. After all, practicing online dating road rules could save you more than you imagine.
The post Online Dating Road Rules appeared first on .