It’s been a while since I last made a muffin that I loved as much as I loved these Morning Coffee Muffins. There’s something to the pleasantly deep flavor of it that was such a hit to me. Normally, when you buy chocolate chip muffins from the store, it’s got this sweet vanilla taste made even sweeter by plain chocolate chips. But these Morning Coffee Muffins are not your typical sweet choco chip muffin at all.
These are simply one of the best muffins I’ve ever made and eaten, and I’m quite sure it’s because of the coffee component. Using quality semisweet chocolate chips doesn’t hurt either, especially when mixed with good coffee like Jimm’s Cafe Clara El Maca.
I came across the original for this recipe while I was surfing the Internet one time and the reviews were so overwhelming I bookmarked it to try out. I did make some tweaks to the recipe and so I thought this was an appropriate time to finally give it a try, since I was in possession of some really good coffee in the form of Jimm’s Cafe Clara El Maca.
I think the magic here is in the coffee and chocolate combination. They create this fragrant and kind of bittersweet taste to the muffins. And because the sweetness is cut down… Well, let’s just say one is not enough when it comes to these Morning Coffee Muffins. 😉
Adding coffee to the mix just changes the game. I mean you don’t taste the coffee that strongly, but it adds this great dimension to the flavor of these muffins. It’s hard to explain. You have to taste it to understand what I mean by this “deep flavor” thing I’m talking about.
And because the coffee flavor in these muffins isn’t so in your face, it’s perfect with coffee. You might say, ‘But Clarisse, all muffins taste great with coffee!’ You might start to reconsider that after you try this out with coffee.
These muffins are made just like many other recipes, but they have an extra step aside from just the mixing and baking part. I decided to add a little coffee glaze or “syrup” to them. I used Jimm’s Cafe Clara El Maca, which I have reviewed more in-depth in this post, in both the muffin batter as well as the glaze I brushed on top.
I love doing this extra thing to my baked goods to keep them moist and give them a boost of flavor. Basically, what you do is poke the muffins from the top to the bottom with a toothpick after baking them. Then you brush on more coffee on each muffin.
Then as the muffin cools, this brushed coffee kind of gets locked inside the muffins and make them more fragrant and ridiculously moist. Now once the muffins are ready to eat, I would suggest preparing them as part of a breakfast-in-bed set. Doesn’t matter if it’s for your mom or dad or significant other. These are the kind of muffins anybody would enjoy. Promise.
Now assuming there will be some left over (since this does make 12 muffins), I recommend storing these Morning Coffee Muffins at room temperature for the first 24 hours. You may have to refrigerate them after that, but not even when you eat them straight from the fridge do they feel tough!
But of course these are best eaten freshly made. Slightly warm is great! You might not be able to control yourself!
And of course, don’t forget to include a cup of Jimm’s Cafe Clara El Maca coffee in your breakfast spread, whether you do end up making breakfast-in-bed or not. I hope you all have a wonderful long weekend ahead, and that perhaps these Morning Coffee Muffins will be a part of it! 🙂
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (fresh or low-fat is fine)
- 2 Tablespoons Cafe Clara coffee granules
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I recommend semisweet since they taste best with coffee)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon Cafe Clara coffee granules
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C), and line a muffin tin with liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- 2. In a glass measuring cup or another bowl, dissolve Cafe Clara coffee granules in the milk. Add in the melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Give it a good mix until well-combined.
- 3. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour mixture. Using a spatula, stir together just until all the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips, just until combined. Avoid over-working the batter.
- 4. Fill the prepared muffin tins at least 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Take out of the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan before moving to wire racks.
- 5. In a small bowl, mix together the hot water and Cafe Clara coffee granules. Using a toothpick, poke the muffins all over from the top, then brush with the coffee syrup. Do this step while the muffins are hot out of the oven so that the coffee soaks through as the muffin cools. Cool completely or eat warm with more coffee of course!
Jimm’s Cafe Clara is available in supermarkets, convenience stores and drug stores nationwide for an SRP of Php 16.00 per pack. You can learn more about Jimm’s Cafe Clara on their website, and while you’re at it, check out their Facebook page too!
Full disclosure: This is a sponsored post brought to you by Goldshine Pharmaceuticals, but all opinions stated above are my own.
The post Have breakfast in bed with these Morning Coffee Muffins (feat. Jimm’s Cafe Clara) appeared first on The Tummy Train.