Wardrobe Basics are not the same as Wardrobe Essentials. Basics are items like underpants, bras, camisoles, socks, shapewear, sleepwear, loungewear, hosiery and thermals. They require our attention about twice a year — once for hot weather and once for cold weather — because they’re an extremely important part of our wardrobe. They’re workhorses that are frequently laundered, so a high level of comfort and quality are expected from them. Please don’t forget about them!
I know it’s hard to spend money on wardrobe basics because they aren’t visible to the eye, somewhat boring, and sometimes quite the fit challenge. Skimping on the replenishment of basics so that we can spend money on the “fun stuff” is a common shopping strategy — especially when budgets are tight. I can feel this way too, although I LOVE lacy underwear and enjoy buying it. But I bite the bullet and get the rest of it done.
I love to have a fresh set of knickers, bras, camies and lounge sets. I wear them daily so they should make me feel fabulous.
I’ve been replenishing my basics over the last few months, and the collection showcases the exact items that I’ve bought (some across a range of colours). Note: I wear loungewear like most people wear pajamas or robes, which is why it’s an integral part of my style.
- Hanky Panky 'Logo To Go' Boyshorts: My favourite panty of all time. ALLURING. They're awfully pretty and flattering, and above all extremely comfortable. No VPLs, and a very good fit on a straighter or curvier hip and thigh. I love the Modern Retro styling. I have a full, round bottom and the coverage is ample. I thought they were cotton for the longest time - but they're modal. FEELS like the very best cotton against your skin. I have many, many pairs in black, nude, red, animal print and navy. Launders like iron. Well worth the price.
- Hanky Panky Heather Jersey Boyshorts: My second favourite panty of all time. They're rayon but feel like cotton. Very pretty, comfy, good fit on a straighter or curvier body type, and work well with the matching camisole. I have them in charcoal and blush.
- Hanky Panky Classic Heather Jersey Camisole: My new favourite pretty camisole because the lace is LOVELY peaking through from under a neckline. The shape is flattering on most body types and the lace is super soft. Love the rayon fabric, that feels like cotton. Comes with matching boy shorts, which I like and wear too. Wears like iron, and does not shrink after tumble drying. I wish they came in more colours.
- BP Stretch Camisole: I've been wearing this camisole for twelve years - replenishing when I need to - and love it. It's VERY comfortable, cotton-rich, fits well, and launders well. It does not shrink in the tumble dryer. The satin strap adds a subtle pretty touch. It runs small and the cut is narrow, so size up. Excellent price. I have many in black and white, and wear them daily. I feel naked without them.
- Halogen Skinny Strap Tank (Regular & Petite): A camisole that is well suited to a curvy figure like a pear or hourglass because it doesn't ride up at the hips. Extra long and fab for tall gals. The slightly built-up strap is nice too. Read the rave reviews.
- Nordstrom Lingerie 'Lazy Mornings' Lounge Pants: LOVE these lounge pants and bought two pairs. One in the grey stripe, and one in a blue stripe that they're selling in stores. SUPER soft and comfortable, and look good too. Flattering fit. They run TTS if you want them to fit like the model. I prefer them baggier and sized up. VERY long, and good for tall gals. Extra fun in the stripes.
- Honeydew Intimates French Terry Lounge Pants: SUPER soft track pants in a fun shade of blue. It has a substantial drawstring that gives a nautical vibe. Works on most body types, but will be short on tall gals. Slouchy fit.
- Brunette Girls Crop Lounge Sweatshirt: Very fun, good quality cropped sweatshirt to wear over lounge pants. Cozy and warm. I have another sweatshirt by this brand, and it has gone the distance. Very long sleeves so not for petites, unless you scrunch or fold the sleeves.
- Simone Perele 'Delice 3D' Molded Underwire Demi Bra: This is the prettiest bra in my capsule because of the demi shape and contrast lace. Makes the boobs look perky and fabulous. It's very lightweight so you can barely feel you're wearing a bra. Best suited to a small and regular size bust, and creates a gorgeous shape on the bust. ALLURING. Runs small. I have several in nude and black.
- Simone Perele 'Caresse' Underwire Plunge Bra: This bra runs TTS, and it's one that I wear when I want an extra smooth silhouette under form-fitting clothes. The wide strap and large coverage on the bust area is girdling, supportive and streamlining. Does not cling onto back fat. I have them in nude and black.
- Gibson Twist Front Fleece Pullover: Extremely soft and flattering tee with twist front knot detailing. Streamlined, but not clingy. Well worth the praise in the reviews. I bought the blue to wear with my lounge bottoms in the Summertime. Runs big.
- Halogen Bateau Neck Top (Regular & Petite): Best shaped T-shirt I've seen all year. Slimming but not clingy. Traditionally flattering. Soft, silky and substantial fabric. Works well for moderate muffin top and larger bust. Perfect on a long neck and small bust. Available in stripes and solids. Well worth the glowing reviews. I bought them in navy and the red stripe to wear with my lounge bottoms in the Summertime.
- Nordstrom 3-Pack Sheer Knee Highs: I wear nude knee-highs with trousers and jeans in the Spring when it's too cold to go barefoot in loafers, booties, pumps and oxfords. These are my favourite because they are affordable, and you can choose a shade that works best with your skin tone. They launder well, and stay put most of the time, although sometimes I have to pull them up.
Visit the collection page to see the items alongside my descriptions.
NOTE: Some rich content in this post was omitted because it isn't supported by the feed. Please visit the post on youlookfab.com to see the additional content.