Imagine a home without storage space, wading through a sea of clutter each time you enter the house. Well, the thought itself is scary. However while storage is indispensable in a home, it can actually add to the overall décor of your home.
Having the right ideas and correct furniture can transform the nook into an important part of a home. Ishan Thacker, Associate Director, Vector Projects (I) Pvt. Ltd. says, “if there is a hollow space below a stairway or a compact corner in the living room or bedroom, it can be easily converted into a home office. Depending on the space, a small desk with a few drawers and a chair can be added.” Creative storage is characterised by functional yet elegant looking spaces. Baaya Design has beautiful baskets that are colourful and great space savers. “These baskets are an absolute saviour when a friend drops by unexpectedly – just one swoop and all clutter is tucked away neatly in the basket and yet looks like a decor accessory instead an eye sore,” says Shibani Dasgupta Jain, Founder and CEO, Baaya Design. Vaishnavipratima, Owner Vaishnavipratima Interiors Studio adds, “coffee tables, trunks, ottomans, side table cases, chest of drawers are examples with storage and high decor value which add character to a design and become important part of overall decor.”
Do’s & Don’t’s
- Use floating shelves to take advantage of vertical wall space.
- Use drawers on the sides of the bed, and the inside of a bed, for storage.
- Use hanging rails and baskets suspended from the walls in bathrooms.
- Use modular shelving for tight corners and small spaces.
- A floor-to-ceiling closet can be created by simple using rods and shelves along any wall.
- Opt for sofas that have built-in storage and a sleek design.
- Invest in smaller, circular tables that take up less space as compared to rectangular designs.
This story appeared in HT Estates Mumbai dated 10th Jan 2018 here:
The post Statement Storage in Homes appeared first on Bindu Gopal Rao, Freelance Writer, Travel, Lifestyle, Food, Fashion & More.