Wine lovers have a difficult time answering this question to others, red or white, as both have their share of points when a comparison is being drawn between the two. Too many researches have been undertaken to make a choice and the following are some points that might help you decide.
Some popular white wines include Champagne, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Riesling, and Chenin Blanc. Popular Red Wines include Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Merlot, and Sangiovese.
White wine is made from white grapes, without any skin or seeds. Red wines are made from whole dark red or black grapes, and the skin adds to the flavour and colour. Red wines are richer, white ones are sweeter.
Though wine lovers would decide on red or white wine depending on their preferred taste, from a health point of view, red wine wins over white wine. Though they are both made of grapes, they do not provide any benefit like fruits. Through fermentation, their original nutrition is lost but newer benefits towards heart and lung health settle in.
Read on to know more.
- Red wineshave less natural sugar compared to white wines, though there is no significant difference in terms of carbohydrates or calories.
- Both haveequal amounts of calcium, which is good for bones.
- Red winehas more amount of iron, phosphorus, and magnesium compared to the white variety.
- Red winehas as much potassium as in a banana, so beats the white variety again.
- Carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin are found in good amounts in the red variety, which is good for macular degeneration.
- Red wine also isricher in choline, which prevents liver damage and overall inflammation.
- Red wines, with the skin as well, contain resveratrol which is protective against heart disease. They prevent plaque formation in the arteries, improve the immune system, and inhibit cancer growth.
- Thepolyphenol in them are excellent antioxidants and help in preventing cholesterol levels, reducing blood pressure, strengthening the immune system, are anti-infective and anticancer agents.
- Theflavonoids in the red wines also have strong antioxidant properties and help in reducing the risk of cancer.
- White wines are more acidic, and so are proven to cause more erosion of the teeth. Red is safer, with less damage to the teeth.
Though white is sweeter, the red one is healthier. With its benefits over the white variety is almost all aspects, it wins over. A word of caution, though wine contains alcohol, which has its own harmful effects on the body. The debate here is only to prove that red wine has more benefits compared to the white variety when consumed in moderate amounts (up to 2 drinks per week).