Encyclopedia: Encyclopedia contains short articles on specific subjects written by authorities and compiled into a series of many volumes. The articles are arranged alphabetically. At the end of most of them, initials of the author are printed and the full name of the author can be determined from the list of contributors, usually included as introductory matter in the first volume. Many articles include cross references and a brief bibliography.
In most of the big libraries, we find Encyclopedias like Encyclopedia Britannica, Encyclopedia Americana, Columbia Encyclopedia etc. Further, we also find certain subject specific encyclopedias like Encyclopedia of Science, Encyclopedia of Agriculture, Encyclopedia of Education etc. Encyclopedias cater to the needs of the advanced learners, teachers, research workers etc.
The publishers of the Encyclopedias bring out supplements every year with a view to update the information contained therein. These supplements are known as 'Yearbooks'.
1. They are used for detail information on a given subject.
2. The quick reference of a particular topic.
3. The subject specific information
4. Instantly and readymade information is present
5. Encyclopedias can be understood as the treasure house of knowledge.