Directions (Q.1-5): In the following questions, some of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is your answer. If a sentence is free from errors, your answer is (D), i.e. No error.
1. There is no book(A)/in English language (B)/which is as interesting as this(C)/No Error (D)
2. He lost his heart (A)/ because he could not deal (B)/ with the impediments in life. (C) / No error (D)
3. Walking (A)/ across the street, (B)/ a car knocked him down. (C)/ No error (D)
4. I shall (A)/ certainly write to you when (B) / I shall reach New Delhi.(C) / No error (D)
5. We discussed about the problem so thoroughly (A)/on the eve of the examination (B)/ that I found it very easy to work it out. (C) /No error (D)
Directions (Q.6-10): In the following questions, the 1st and the last parts of the sentence are numbered 1 and 6. The rest of the sentence is split into four parts and named P, Q, R and S. These four parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentence and find out which of the four combinations is correct. Then find the correct answer.
6. 1. The harnessing of our rivers
P. is a great national problem
Q. the waters of which
R. which must be considered
S. now mostly run to waste
6. and dealt with on national lines.
7. 1. Many people drive
P. hopelessly jammed
Q. their own cars to work
R. the roads would become
S. but if everyone did this
6. especially during rush-hours
8. 1. I realize that peace and
P. security are rightful aims,
Q. violent adventure is probably
R. and that my own desire for
S. merely an adaptation to the
6. age in which I live.
9. 1. When you are debating whether to
P. but also helps you stay
Q. take your evening walk or skip it
R. not only keeps your weight in check
S. remember that taking a long a walk
6. calm and relaxed.
10. 1. The enzymes in washing powder
P. making them able to survive
Q. come from bacteria
R. to live in hot springs
S. that have evolved
6. the rigours of the hot cycle.
Directions (Q.10-20): Sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word-
(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it.
11. I decided to sell a piece of land when I was offered a more __________ price.
12. I purposely ____ meet you during my last visit to Kashmir.
13. My father _____ down for a nap.
14. Do you know __________?
A) where she comes from
B) where does she come from
C) where from she comes
D) from where does she come
15. God is __________
16. Would you like to_____ the students about the hike in fees?
17. She was an______to the crime.
18. There are no _____branches of this shop.
19. How much land did the US acquire from the Mexican_____?
20. Do not __________ people unnecessarily in parties, they might take it badly.
Directions (Q.21-25):Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word and mark it.
A) inoffensive expression
B) accurate information
C) affected speech
D) offensive expression
Directions (Q.26-30): Choose the word opposite in meaning to the given word and mark it in the Answer Sheet.
Directions (Q.31-35): In the following questions, groups of four words are given. In each group one word is correctly spelt. Find the correctly spelt.
31. A) Sacreligious B) Sacrelegious C) Sacrilegious D) Sacriligious
32. A) Milenium B) Millenium C) Milennium D) Millennium
33. A) Supersede B) Superseed C) Supercede D) Supperssed
34. A) Dolorous B) Dolurous C) Doloreus D) Delorious
35. A) Condiut B) Conduit C) Connduit D) Condeut
Directions (Q.36-40): In the following questions, a part of the sentence is printed in bold. Below are given alternatives to the bold part at (A), (B) and (C) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (D).
36. Susan sent a word to me that she would be coming late.
A) sent word
B) sent words
C) had sent a word
D) no improvement
37. Bose was by far a great man of India.
A) no improvement
B) too great a man
C) a very great man
D) the greatest man
38. The mother could not aid but cry at his behaviour.
C) no improvement
D) but crying
39. He was cured of his rheumatism by a specialist.
A) cured from
B) cured with
C) cured after
D) No improvement
40. The physician suggested me to take a holiday.
A) suggested that I should take
B) suggested to take
C) suggested me taking
D) No improvement
Directions (Q.41-45): You have brief passage with questions. Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each question out of the four alternatives. Iron is only one chemical element. Steel, on the other hand, is a mixture of atleast 2 elements – iron and carbon. Steel may have as much as 1.5 percent carbon in it. But the steel we use most often has only 0.2 percent carbon in it. Besides carbon, steel may have small amounts of other metals that have been put into the 'melt' on purpose. Metals like manganese, found in some forms of iron, can improve the quality of steel. But there are also some elements found in steel which do not belong. An element such as sulphur can ruin steel. Steel makers try their best to get rid of it. Without the use of steel, the face of the world today would look a lot like the way it did in the middle 1800's. We would not have tall skyscrapers, huge steamships, cars, planes, and large machines to make life easier.
41. The manganese found in iron ore__________.
A) is removed before steel is made
B) improves the quality of steel
C) can ruin the "melt"
D) is sometimes as high as 2 percent
42. The writer points out that__________.
A) steel is made mostly of sulphur and iron ore
B) manganese melts at very low temperatures
C) tin is found in some iron ore
D) steel is a mixture of several metals
43. The invention of steel__________.
A) has brought progress to the world
B) has helped put colonies on Mars
C) has allowed some countries to become too powerful
D) has lengthened the lifespan of man
44. The difference between iron and steel is that__________.
A) iron is only one chemical element
B) steel is only one chemical element
C) steel is stronger and sturdier
D) iron is stronger and sturdier
45. An element sometimes found in steel that does NOT belong is__________.