Before starting this post, I'd like to first of all mention that Formula has saved so many lives, it is an amazing alternative to those who really do struggle with breastfeeding and that women should do what feels right for them. With that being said, I got inspired to write this post after reading an article on facebook about the lack of education on the difference between breastmilk and formula.
#breastisbest... this may be a hashtag that certain women find offensive and for that I do apologise but I can't help to agree with it. For too long now, have we been dismissed the truth about breastmilk and formula. There are not many people in the world that are actually aware of the great benefits of breastfeeding and the high risks of formula feeding. I've written (more than once) several posts on breastfeeding, because I am an activist and believe that there is way too much judgement and wrong informed people about it out there, and I stand by that opinion. This post however, has more to do with formula. There are of course, certain formula's that are healthier and safer than others, but truth be told, not even the best kind will be able to compare. Because of the facts that I know, my son has never had a drop of formula in him, and I have a hard time believing that any of my future children ever will. We don't even drink cows milk in my household (but thats for another post).
- Formula fed/bottle fed babies risk a 50% higher chance of death from SIDs and bacterial infections. According to a report written by a doctor named of Linda Folden Palmer, she reveals that formula costs the lives of an estimated 9,335 babies in just the U.S each year
- Fatty acids and amino acids are extremely important for the brain and nervous system development. Two acids that has a lacking existence in formula. Both calcium and iron is not as easily absorbed in formula as it is in breastmilk
- Hormones and digestive enzyme (thyroid, prolactin, oxytocin, etc) happen to be very rich in breastmilk but unfortunately, formula does not possess these hormones.
- The standard baby formula that seems to be most popular ones contains several poisonous materials such as aluminium, silicon, cadmium, MSG and so many more, which can lead to life long and life threatening diseases and conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease, coronary heart disease, diabetes, hyper activity and more.
- Formula contained with genetically engineered soya beans which is greatly carcinogenic, and increases the percentage of cancer in children. Those who were formula fed as infants and toddlers also have a 25% higher risk of developing breast cancer in adult years.
- Formula fed babies have a slower digest system than a breastfed baby which can have a negative effect. For example, if an infant or baby develops a respiratory illness, the formula may cause even more mucus because it does not contain antibodies to these ailments, as well as being highly digestible and contributing to excess mucus formation.
- There have been actual experiments done that has proven that A. the mother and the baby have a strong sense of bond when breastfeeding (I can only imagine this being true, other than the research I've done, I can't actually relate), B. that children on the bottle develop slower than a baby on the breast and C. it is more time consuming and costly to bottle feed due to the mixing, heating, refrigerating, cleaning up, unlike with the breast you just need to lift up your shirt. Don't even need to wake up at night to do it if you have the baby in the bed with you.
Breastfeeding can be extremely painful, exhausting and frustrating in the beginning, and a lot of women give up because of it but it does get better. At least for most women, so I strongly advice to at least try before choosing the bottle, and lets EDUCATE EDUCATE EDUCATE so that people are aware of all the facts before making any decisions.