Many-a-times, we find ourselves in an awkward situation, sitting in front of someone whom we don’t know or have met for the first time. Even the other person doesn’t know what to say and there is an awkward silence. We get arrested as we can’t even avoid the situation.
So rather than trying to escape it, we should face it cleverly. Psychology plays a big role in such a situation to break the ice with the stranger sitting next to you. Here are some tricks to deal with the situation.
1. Ask the person to share his/her experience rather than asking questions: If you begin a conversation by asking too many questions to the person, he or she may dislike it. How can you expect a stranger to answer all your questions? In fact, rather than asking straight questions, request the person to share his or her experience.
2. Analyze the person and the situation: Before initiating a conversation, try to read the mind of the other person. If he or she is an extrovert, things will become a little easier for you. But if the person is an introvert, you have to think twice before you utter any word.
3. Make the other person comfortable in the new environment: It might be possible that the environment or the set up is new to the person. He might be feeling uncomfortable so you can’t ask the person to open up until he or she becomes comfortable. Ask the person if he/she wants anything to eat or drink. Ask the person if he or she is okay.
4. Make the person comfortable: This is the most important thing to keep in mind when you are in the company of an unknown person in a new set up. Don’t ask him too many questions at one go. Allow him to relax.
5. Be a good listener: In you want to have a healthy conversation with anyone under any circumstance, the first rule is to allow the other person to speak. Try to be a good listen. Don’t consider it a debate where you need to win the war of words. Listen, analyze and then carry the conversation forward.
(Image Credits: Flickr)
This post first appeared on Aabout.in || Get Information About Everything At One Place., please read the originial post: here