The Mumbai Trans Harbour Link will be India’s longest sea bridge, which is to be constructed at the cost of Rs 17,750 crore and the project will connect Sewri in Mumbai with Nhava in Navi Mumbai. Out of total 22-km long project, 16.5km section will be constructed over the sea and a 5.5km long portion on land.
The 22km MTHLproject is divided into 3 packages, the first two packages comprise the construction of 16.5km sea bridge component. Therefore MMRDA shortlisted 7 companies each for first two packages and 15 contractors for the third package for the construction 5.5km long portion on land.
The seven contractors which are shortlisted for Package-1 running from Sewri up to 10.38-km - are following consortium: AFCONS Infrastructure-FLUOR Australia-Shapoorji Pallonji; Daweoo Engineering & Construction-Tata Projects; Gayatri Projects-China Railway Major Bridge Engineering Group; HCC-SK Engineering & Construction; IL&FS Transportation Networks -SP Singla Constructions; ITD Cementation-Simplex Infrastructures; Italian Thai Development Public-Sumitomo Mitsui Construction; and Larsen & Toubro-IHI Infrastructure.
The following consortium has been shortlisted for Package-2 running from step 10.38-km up to step 18.187 km- are consortium of AFCONS Infrastructure-FLUOR Australia-Shapoorji Pallonji; Daweoo Engineering & Construction-Tata Projects; Gayatri Projects-China Railway Major Bridge Engineering Group; HCC -SK Engineering & Construction; IL&FS Engineering -Ranjit Buildcon; ITD Cementation India-Simplex Infrastructures -Italian Thai Development Public -Sumitomo Mitsui Construction, and Larsen & Toubro-IHI Infrastructure.
Further, the 15 companies shortlisted for Package-3 running from step 18.187 up to Chirle- are: consortium consisting of AFCONS Infrastructure-FLUOR Australia -Shapoorji Pallonji; Gayatri Projects-China Railway Major Bridge Engineering Group; HCC-SK Engineering & Construction; IL&FS Engineering & Construction -IL&FS Transportation Networks; ITD Cementation India -Thakur Infraprojects- JM Mhatre Infra; JMC Infraprojects (India)- China Railway Construction Bridge Engineering Bureau Group; Obrascon Huarte Lain-Constructora of Mexico; Ranjit Buildcon-Royal Infra Engineering; Soma Enterprises -China Harbour Engineering;
The following companies also shortlisted for package-3 are: J. Kumar Infraprojects; Larsen & Toubro; Navayuga Engineering; NCC; Simplex Infrastructures, and SP Singla Constructions.
The last date for submitting the RFP (Request for Proposal) documents is April 5, 2017, after MMRDA, the nodal agency for MTHL Project will take another 15-20 days to select the winning bids. The names of the final bidders are expected to come either in last week of April or in May.
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has agreed to fund around 80% of the Rs 17,750 crore for the construction of 22km MTHL Project. The central government has become the guarantor for the loan of JICA, the rest 20% will be managed by the state government.
Once it completed, MTHL Project will provide direct access to Navi Mumbai, New International Airport and will also provide the convenient gateway to Pune Expressway and further to Southern India.
The project would require a huge amount of construction equipment during the construction period.
Equipment such as Excavators, Backhoe loaders, Motor graders, Cranes, different other types of Earth moving and material handling machinery will see the demand in Mumbai. There are different other urban infrastructure projects have approved in the metropolis, which would further generate demand for new as well as used construction equipment in coming years. Even the CE rental services will also pick up the demand as many contractors may prefer to hire different types of assets for the particular project.
Source: Information has been obtained from MMRDA & media reports