We have the wrong perceptions on Potatoes.
"POTATOES ARE FATTENING!"
"If I want to lose weight, I need to cut my carbs intake!"
WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!!
You need not cut your carbs intake entirely.
It is indeed an overly extreme diet that might ruin your lifestyle and health in overall.
Okay, enough for the nagging. Contact me for more advice on this area.
I was invited to a POTATO event. Yes, you read it correctly.
US Potato decided to associate potatoes with fitness as it is a very good source of carbs!
I felt so not knowledgeable as I did not know there are PURPLE and RED potatoes (NOT Sweet Potatoes!) but normal potatoes!
I can't wait to try them in my food!
Potatoes' nutritional values are great in view of below: -
- Low calories (110kcal/148g avg size of potato)
- High potassium of 620mg/100g
- ZERO fats
- High Protein (3g/148g avg size of potato)
Athletes, fitness enthusiasts or those who want to lose weights should really incorporate potatoes into their diet by replacing the simple carbs with potatoes.
Of course, I personally think cooking method does affect the overall calories of a meal. If you couldn't give up on your fries, opt for air-frying. It is much healthier as compared to traditional deep frying with oil.
Potatoes USA showcased the goodness of potatoes during the event with a theme of "Power Up with US Potatoes" to highlight the importance of potatoes in the diet of athletes.
Researches showed that incorporating potatoes into daily diet could enhance performance of athletes.
Noel Chelliah and Kimbely Yap from DailyMuscle further emphasized on the goodness and nutritional values of potatoes.
Celebrity Chef Muhammad Naim Ramli showcased three (3) simple recipes that incorporates US potatoes to illustrate its versatility and flavour.
The three (3) recipes are as below: -
US Potato Jackfruit Smoothie
- 2 US Russets
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder
- 6 pieces of jack fruit
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp chia seed
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 pandan leaf (garnish)
- Gula Melaka (garnish)
1) Peel and cube potatoes.
2) Boil cubed potatoes until soft for 10 minutes.
3) Blend all ingredients and serve with pandan leaf and drizzle gula melaka.
On-the-go US Potatoes
- 10 US Russets (peeled and diced)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 1 lime (Cut for Garnish)
- Salt & Pepper
1) Toss potatoes with olive oil in a bowl.
2) In a separate bowl, combine paprika, curry powder, lemon zest, ground almond and garlic.
3) Mix all the ingredients and coat the potatoes well with the ingredients.
4) Air-fry at 180c for 20-30 minutes.
5) Garnish with lime wedge.
Chicken Tom Yum US Hash Brown
- 6 US Hash Brown
- 1 pack of Tom Yum paste
- 2 chicken breasts (poached and diced)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 2 kafir lime leaves (sliced)
- 2 coriander leaves (sliced)
- 1 lemon grass (diced)
- Salt & Pepper
1) Air fry the US Hash Brown at 100c for 15 minutes till golden brown.
2) Spread the Tom Yum paste on top of the hash brown.
3) Mix the ingredients (Chicken, tomatoes, kaffir lime leaves, coriander leaves, lemongrass, salt & pepper) and place on top of the hash brown.
4) Garnish with coriander leaves.
Event ended with a quick workout session, conducted by DailyMuscle.
We did it the Tabata style with 30 seconds for each session.
It involved BW squats, planks, OH shoulder presses, jump squats, partner push-ups and partner lat hold.
It was my 2nd workout right after my 1st workout session at HB.
I was definitely feeling exhausted but it was overall a fun event.
What's your excuse for not taking the first step in taking care of your body?
This post first appeared on Eggie Jiayeen - Malaysian Lifestyle And Fashion Bl, please read the originial post: here