- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5-2/3 cups hot cooked rice
In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper in oil until tender.
Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, parsley, pimientos, hot sauce, onion salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in shrimp; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
Serve with rice. Yield: 8 serving
2/3 cup: 273 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.