Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

Dog that ate corn on the cob died

Saffy, who was just two, ate it while on a walk with owner Joanne Palmer in Chester.
Dog that ate corn on the cob died

She did not realise it was a danger to dogs and is now sharing her story to highlight what can happen.
Joanne, who works in sales, said: ‘Saffy must have eaten the Corn on the cob while we were out on walkies. She was fine until one week later when she began violently vomiting at home.
‘Both myself and husband, Johnny, 42, first thought she had been poisoned. The vets told us they could feel something hard in her stomach and prepared to operate.
Dog that ate corn on the cob died
Saffy fell gravely ill after eating the corn on the cob (Picture: Caters)
‘But unbeknownst to us, the core of a cob had travelled through her intestines like a cheese grater. And despite their best efforts, she started to bleed and died later that day.
‘We were left heartbroken and it wasn’t until last week that we found out it was due to a lodged cob.
‘We had to pay extra for a Toxicology Report but I’m so thankful we now know her cause of death so we can warn other owners.’
Joanne claims that Saffy must have eaten the deadly corn on the cob while on a walk in nearby fields.
She added: ‘She must have found a really old piece of corn and managed to go grab it when I wasn’t looking.
Dog that ate corn on the cob died
(Picture: Caters)
‘She was really unlucky and when I asked the vet how long they thought it had been there, they said it had been probably more than a week.
‘We had no idea how seriously ill she was, it has been an awful time since losing her.’
At first vets thought Saffy had been poisoned, until the toxicology report revealed the core of the vegetable was so hard that it cut through her intestines and caused severe septicaemia.
Joanne said: ‘She was basically still a puppy, she was really healthy before all of this.
‘She was a tiny dog, and I have thought that her size definitely contributed to her death.
‘As I’m not sure Labradors would have had the same effect.’
Since posting her story online, Joanne has received almost 20 thousand shares online.
Joanne added: ‘Dog owners must be warned that if they are walking their dog on any field, even ones that aren’t corn fields, be aware.
‘Crows can pick up and drop old cobs anywhere.
Writer: Richard Hartley-Parkinson for Metro.co.uk


This post first appeared on Grabey | Weird News, Funny News, Strange News, Anything, please read the originial post: here

Share the post

Dog that ate corn on the cob died

×

Subscribe to Grabey | Weird News, Funny News, Strange News, Anything

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription

×