This incredible Magic Shell topping creation adds an irresistible crunch and a burst of flavor to any scoop of ice cream, transforming an ordinary dessert into something truly extraordinary using only two pantry staples you probably have! Whether you prefer classic flavors like chocolate or want to explore more adventurous options, it offers a delightful way to elevate your frozen dessert experience.
I love pouring chocolate sauce on my Ice Cream (I’m such a chocoholic). But when I discovered magic shell (the chocolate sauce from the grocery store that hardens when poured over ice cream), it changed my life. I love that crunchy texture that melts in my mouth!
So what if I told you that you can easily make your own homemade magic shell at home instead of overpaying to go out for the very same thing.
Would you believe me? Well, it’s true – and it’s SIMPLE to do!
And my kids think I can perform pure magic! This easy recipe is one of childhood pleasures, right?
Picture this: a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream slowly melting under a smooth, chocolatey magic shell. The crackling sound as it hardens into a delectable shell, encasing the cold ice cream below. This is the enchanting experience that awaits you with magic shell for ice cream.
The magic shell is a unique topping that hardens into a smooth and crispy shell as soon as it comes into contact with ice cream. Made primarily from chocolate and coconut oil, this intriguing creation brings a delightful surprise and texture to each bite.
Simply pour it over your favorite ice cream, wait for it to harden within just a few seconds, and enjoy the satisfying crunch of chocolate magic shell that ensues with every spoonful.
Now you and your whole family can enjoy it at home anytime you want with this homemade version. It is definitely a new favorite summertime treat…..but we all know it will be your year-round go-to chocolatey treat. 😉
If you want more fun and unique ice cream recipes, try my Ice Cream Cakesicles, Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich, or 3-Ingredient Frozen Banana Ice Cream with Nutella.
How Does Magic Shell Work?
Coconut oil is the secret ingredient for magic shell, which is a combination of chocolate and fat that hardens into a firm, glossy shell when chilled over ice cream.
If you simply poured melted chocolate over ice cream, it would get too hard for most people to eat (or at least enjoy).However, the fat makes the texture just soft enough that you can break it with a spoon!
Oil contains a high amount of saturated fat, so it can solidify (to a point) when chilled. When you melt the chocolate and oil together, you’ll achieve the consistency of loose hot fudge. But as soon as that same liquid chocolate runs over cold ice cream it rapidly cools down, causing the oil and chocolate mixture to firm back up.
Using coconut oil will give your magic shell topping a coconut-y flavor, but if you want to avoid that, see below for my suggestions on alternatives.
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Magic Shell Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to gather to make this easy recipe for hard chocolate shell topping for ice cream.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Coconut Oil
- Ice Cream – your favorite flavor
- Sprinkles – optional
How To Make Magic Shell For Ice Cream
Are you ready for your own homemade ice cream topping? This magic shell recipe tastes even better than what you get from the store!
Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the coconut oil. Microwave the chips and coconut oil in 30-second intervals until the mixture is smooth.
Allow the melted chocolate chip mixture to cool for at least 20 minutes making sure to stir about every 5 minutes.
Spoon the magic shell topping over your ice cream.
Add sprinkles immediately, if desired.
Allow at least 30 seconds for the magic shell to harden on top of ice cream. The hardening coconut oil is what makes the magic shell work and create a hard shell!
Magic Shell Recipe Notes And Tips
- While melting the chocolate chips, I suggest that you set your microwave on defrost or 50% as to be extra cautious that the chips and coconut oil don’t get too hot or scorch.
- If you’re concerned about melting the chocolate in the microwave, you could use a double boiler to safely warm magic shell without risk of scorching.
- The chocolate chip and coconut oil mixture should be very smooth and glossy once it is melted.
- I like to transfer the mixture into a glass container to allow to cool. Then I can just pop on a lid and keep it for future use.
Ice Cream Sundaes Toppings and Ideas
Want to use chocolate hard shell to make the best sundaes ever? Here’s how!
- Put scoops of your favorite ice cream (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, perhaps?) in a bowl or dish.
- Top with magic shell and add sprinkles or chopped nuts before the shell hardens.
- Drizzle caramel sauce on top, if desired!
- Add any additional toppings you want, including whipped cream, bananas, maraschino cherries, etc.
Variations Of Magic Shell For Ice Cream To Try
- Use different flavors of chocolate chips for your magic shell. My favorite way to make this is with semisweet chocolate, but it is also delicious with dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and even white chocolate.
- Some of my favorite magic shell ice cream topping flavors are strawberry, lemon, butterscotch, and mint. There are some other great flavors you can find, such as cherry, cappuccino, and peanut butter. Oooh, doesn’t peanut butter magic shell sound amazing?
- Add in extra flavors using extracts such as peppermint, coconut, cotton candy, orange, banana, or pineapple. Use your imagination and have fun with it!
- Add sprinkles on that celebrate a holiday or event such as the 4th of July, Christmas, Halloween, or St. Patrick’s Day!
Magic Shell Works As Dipping Chocolate Too!
If you want to dip an ice cream cone or a popsicle into chocolate, use this chocolate shell recipe! Easy and delicious!
If you prefer your chocolate syrup not to have a more prominent coconut flavor, I would recommend using refined coconut oil. It has a much milder flavor than other types of coconut oil.
If you do not mind the ‘extra’ coconut flavor in this delicious chocolate sauce, use virgin coconut oil or any other type you prefer.
That is a great question! It is very important that you do NOT put it in the refrigerator. It will turn into a lump of hard chocolate. 🙂 It is best stored in an airtight container (like mason jars) so that when you are ready to use it again, you can easily reheat it in the microwave to use again.
Any leftover chocolate mixture will keep at room temperature for up to 3 months. You may need to reheat it to make it liquidy again. NOTE: I don’t recommend storing this mixture a plastic squeeze bottle (but you could use one to drizzle if you want!).
Definitely! You can also use white, dark, or milk chocolate chips. You can also use peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips.
Yes! Traditional hot fudge sundaes use loose hot fudge and caramel sauce. But you could replace the hot fudge with this chocolate hard shell topping!
Yes! Sunflower oil, shortening, and vegetable oil will work too!
More Kid-Friendly Desserts To Try
- Chocolate Chip Fruit Dessert Pizza
- Cotton Candy Cake
- Mermaid Cheesecake Pops
- Chocolate Caramel Apple Pops
- Easy S’mores Bars
How To Make Magic Shell For Ice Cream
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Ice cream, your favorite
- Sprinkles, optional
- Melt chocolate chips with coconut oil in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring until smooth
- Cool for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes
- Spoon over ice cream then add sprinkles if desired
- Allow 30 seconds for the shell to harden on the ice cream.
The post How To Make Homemade Magic Shell Topping (2 Ingredients!) appeared first on Made In A Pinch.