At least 92 people have died, and another 125 have been injured this Saturday by the explosion of a Car Bomb. It took place at a checkpoint outside Mogadishu, at the busy intersection that connects the Somali capital with the town of Afgoye, according to medical sources.
“So far (the ambulance service) Aamin can confirm 92 dead and 125 wounded, but the number is still increasing,” said Efe Abdulkadir Adan, the founder of this emergency team.
Among the dead are 17 students from the private University of Benadir, who were crossing the minibus crossing at the time of the tragic incident.
Two engineers of Turkish nationality, workers of the Construcciones En-Ez company in charge of the works on this road, have also lost their lives, as confirmed by the embassy of this country in Mogadishu.
Our ambulance came first. We found scattered bodies and injured people. Some of the bodies had been burned alive,” said Efe Abshir Mohamed Amina, one of Aamin’s toilets on the ground.
The attack took place at 8.00 local time (5.00 GMT) when an alleged suicide bomber exploded a kind of minivan near a tax office, at the checkpoint used by vehicles leaving and entering Mogadishu from the city of Afgoye.
It was the rush hour of a workday. So around the affected area, there were numerous patrol cars, students, and street vendors of qat (vegetable stimulant widely consumed in Somalia), according to various witnesses.
Dozens of families are still waiting outside the hospitals Erdogan, Medina, and the Kalkaal specialized clinic intending to know the status of their relatives while the health personnel asked the population to come to donate blood.
“Other patients, family members, and even doctors, nurses, and hospital staff have been asked to donate blood urgently to help victims. The situation is bad,” Dr. Yahye Ismail of Erdogan Hospital soon told Efe.
“I do not remember a similar tragedy since the attack at the intersection of Zoobe (in Mogadishu),” continued the health Amina. It is referring to the double bomb attack in a market in the capital that caused 587 deaths on October 14, 2017.
With the current death toll, today’s attack is the third deadliest in the recent history of Mogadishu. It only surpassed by that of Zoobe, and in October 2011, by the explosion of a suicide bomber from Al Shabab that killed more than a hundred people.
Mogadishu – despite remaining nominally under government control – often suffers attacks by Al Shabab, an al-Qaeda affiliated organization since 2012. It controls the rural areas of central and southern Somalia, a country from which he wants to expel all foreign troops and establish an ultraconservative Islamic state.
This latest attack again calls into question the ability of the Somali Army to assume the security of this country. As the contingents of soldiers that the peace mission of the African Union (AU), known as the Peace Mission as AMISOM, he maintains in Somalia.
The United States also has about 500 troops in Somali territory, and this year alone has carried out more than 60 drone attacks (drones) against alleged targets of Al Shabab. However, farmers have also died in some of them.
Somalia lives in a state of conflict and chaos since 1991, when dictator Mohamed Siad Barre was overthrown, which left the country without an effective government and in the hands of Islamist militias and warlords.
The post A car bomb causes at least 92 dead and 125 injured in Mogadishu appeared first on Rush Hour Daily News | Breaking News, U.S & World News, Politics & Opinions - News around the World.