If you are a driver, you will have to agree with me at some point or another, you will get to experience difficulty starting your vehicle. What people do is to blame major parts of the car which is OK.
But you will realize that such a frustrating event is going to emanate from car Battery terminals. That is why you have to learn on how to get your terminals well cleaned and well maintained so that such a thing is never going to occur once again.
There is no need for you to get worried of how to clean your Car Battery; we have the remedy for you!
How to clean your car battery terminals
Just buy a cleaner spray. You will get that some will include an acid detector in the formula. These tend to take less time but you are advised to read the directions on the bottle, because each might be a bit different from another.
Another way of doing so is by the use of a terminal brush or sandpaper. That is when you realize that the buildup is too big for a toothbrush
How to clean battery terminals with baking soda
- Turn off your car to reduce the grounding the cables
- Determine the terminal configuration so that you are aware whether they are on the side or on top.
- - Unfasten the cable from the post from the negative terminal first before proceeding to the positive
- Inspect round the batt and determine whether there are cracks at all.
- The cables and also tears should be checked for any tearing.
- Mix 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of baking soda with 1 cup (250 ml) of very hot water.
- To make the terminals clean try to use a toothbrush to scour the clamps and posts
- Rinse the car energizer and also its other parts in a better and good manner.
- Use commercial terminal protection spray or even petroleum jelly to lubricate all exposed metal parts on terminals, posts and even clamps.
- Reattach the positive (+) and the negative (-) cables clamps to their proper terminals and then tighten them up.
How to clean battery terminals without baking soda
Try the use of plain old coffee; it works quite well. You will be needed to either dip and soak the cables in a cup of Joe, or pour it directly on the terminals.
After you are done, use a little water to wash the mess away, and you’re ready to roll.
Another easy way out is just the use a kettle of boiling water and pour it slowly over the terminals. Do it one at a time so that you are able to ensure that get water shorting the two posts.
How to clean battery terminals with coke
- Take a pair of gloves and the right size of a wrench.
- Loosen each terminal slightly and do not entirely remove the cables
- Pour cola over the car energy giver starting off from the center outward going in a straight direction.
- Repeat the process but going in the opposite direction
- Allow it to soak for around 2-minutes, and then rinse off with water.
- Tighten the terminals and after you are done, try to restart your car.
How to make car battery last longer
Ensure that you do Car battery Maintenance Regularly
You will realize that most car batteries are termed as being maintenance free. I have to assure you that it is not as true as it is said. The electrolyte in batteries of whichever kind will boil off and evaporate in due course of time.
You will realize that the usable life span of the battery is decreased. At least 2 or 3 times in a month, you should remove these 2 caps off and check their levels in each cell.
The level of the electrolyte reach the lip approximately ¾ of an inch below the cap seal, and you find that it doesn’t, add (only) distilled water or use the store bought electrolyte until you arrive at the level that is required.
Keep It Cool When Running
A car’s energy provider should not be exposed to high temperatures found under the hood for extended periods of time. Wrap it by use of temperature protectors like a blanket to evade this problem.
Always prevent your battery from freezing
There are those of us that reside in areas places that are cold frequently. The best thing that you can do is to use thermal temperature givers. It will help to guard it from the freezing and sub-freezing temperatures
Keep It Clean
As time elapses, the terminals are going to corrode and you can’t prevent it from happening. What can be done is only controlling. You can get various types of substances that you can use for cleaning the terminals. (They are discussed below).
Maintain Voltage Level
For it to be successful, you just need to regularly test it with a car power tester. It is a machine that is going to put the batt under a high output for a given time frame (30 seconds).
When you realize that the measuring apparatus is indicating in the green side, then it still has enough power to of being in good condition.
- Always wear protective gear during cleanup. It will prevent you from getting in touch with the corrosive acid that is used in the battery.
- Avoid wearing any chains and jewelry as they can be grounded or get caught to the engine parts.
- Ensure that you disconnect the battery in the right manner starting off with the negative (-) terminal and finishing with the positive terminal (+).
- After you are done, do the reverse in connecting the terminals, starting with the positive and finish with the negative.
- If you want a car energy giver to provide you with the assistance that you need for a longer duration, then maintaining it is always a better thing to do.
- There are several ways for ensuring that the terminals are clean. It will help your car from not failing to get the right kind of energy that it needs to start and run its components.
- Do constant checkups of the battery and you will never get stuck anywhere unlike those that don’t. always remember that maintaining anything is going to be cheaper that letting it get spoilt so that you buy a new one.
- When you get to use the tips that we have given you above, then you will get a better service time of the energy giver in your automotive much longer.
The post Battery cleaning tips: How to clean car battery terminals appeared first on Battery Mode On.