Close to 800,000 people die each year due to suicide. This counts to one person every 40 seconds. Suicide occurs throughout a human lifespan, teen to old age and it is a global phenomenon.
Some Key Facts:
1. Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-29- year- olds globally
2. 79% of suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries
3. Among teenage girls aged 15-19 years, suicide is the second leading cause of death
4. Hanging, pesticide self-poisoning, and firearms are mostly opted by people in committing suicide
5. Depression is the leading cause of suicide worldwide
Which country has the highest Suicide Rate?
The European country of Lithuania has the highest suicide rate of 31.9 suicides per 100k population followed by Russia (31 suicides per 100k), Guyana (29.2 suicides per 100k), and South Korea (26.9 suicides per 100k).
Suicide rank Vs Suicide Rate Across Countries 2019
Where does India stand?
- India is at position 21 with a suicide rate of 16.30
- India tops the chart with 220,481 deaths each year
- India stands at position three for female suicide across the globe with a female suicide rate of 14.70
Answers to the following questions can help you understand suicide better
Why do people commit suicide?
A suicide attempt is an indication something is gravely wrong in a person’s life. Suicide is a desperate attempt to escape that unbearable suffering.
Can talking about suicide make a person try it?
No. The opposite is true. Not expressing the feelings and accumulated thoughts lead to suicide
Who is more at risk for suicide?
Suicide can result from mental illness like depression. It can also happen due to recent loss of a loved one or a job, divorce, a dire medical condition, or even lack of social support
Look out for these warning signs in your loved ones to know whether they need urgent help
- Talking about wanting to die
- Feeling hopeless or having no purpose in life
- Experiencing being trapped or being in unbearable pain
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Excessive use of alcohol or drugs
- Behaving in a reckless manner
- Sleeping too little or sleeping too much
- Staying isolated
- Showing rage or anxiety
- Experiencing extreme mood swings
5 Suicide Prevention Helplines In India You Need To Know About
1. Roshni: Hyderabad-based suicide intervention center. They are available from Monday to Saturday from 11 am to 9 pm.
2. Cooj: This helpline is operational between 1 pm to 7 pm from Monday to Friday.
3. Sneha Foundation India: They offer 24X7 help to all those who need emotional support, depressed, desperate and suicidal.
4. Vandrevala Foundation For Mental Health: They work round the clock, and people in distress can reach them easily through their toll-free numbers
5. Connecting… : This is a suicide prevention NGO for the youth. They are operational from 12 pm – 8 pm all days. They can be reached through email too. [email protected]
Data source: Suicide Rate by Country 2019
Tool Used: Tableau Public