Serve more beetroots on your table – raw, roasted, steamed, pickled, grated or juiced. Beetroot is rich with iron and naturally occurring folic acid (for pregnant moms). It holds in it nitrates, betaine (betaine gives it red color), magnesium and other antioxidants. They are also loaded with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C. Research says that Beets can boost energy, help lose weight, fight cancer, reduce pain and enhance immunity. Though its high on glycaemic index, it contains no fat, very few calories and is a great source of fiber. Let’s explore some less known good facts about ‘Humble Beets’.
Beets have aphrodisiac power
Beets are high in Boron, which is directly involved in the production of human sex hormones. Also beets due to its high nitrate content, can increase Blood flow. Should be noted that drugs like Viagra and other similar products too act by increasing blood flow to the genital areas.
Gives Athletes Competitive Edge
Beetroot juice is the most popular health supplement among athletes. Study published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism suggests that drinking beetroot juice can enhance stamina, strength, and endurance. The whole credit goes to nitrates present in beets. Body converts these nitrates to nitric oxide. Nitric oxide widens, relaxes, and dilates blood vessels. This allow more blood and oxygen to reach muscles.
Detoxify Liver with Beets
The main function of liver is to remove toxins. Hence it is of utmost importance to cleanse this organ of all these toxins at regular intervals. Beets improve liver function mainly by thinning the bile and allowing it to flow more freely through the liver and from there into the small intestine.
Natural product to lower blood pressure
Research says drinking a glass of Beetroot juice can lower blood pressure. The study showed that within hours of drinking it, beet juice lowered systolic blood pressure by an average of 4-5 points among a small group of healthy men. Beet root is rich in potassium and magnesium and also have high content of nitrates – together they work to reduce blood pressure.
Great Blood Builder
The fact that beets are rich in iron makes it best for blood. Beets helps to regenerate and reactivate the red blood cells.
Better antioxidant than vitamin C
Beets have 3- to 4-times greater antioxidant activity than vitamin C
Helps to nullify “garlic breath”
Eating beetroot can help to remove the bad breath caused by garlic
All about Beets
- Try Raw beetroot juice. This is one of the most powerful ways to consume it
- The nutrients in beets are susceptible to degradation by heat and hence its suggested to cook beetroots at the maximum for 15 minutes
- Beetroot belongs to spinach family, both the leaves and root can be eaten
- Beetroot without its green leaf will stay in refrigerator for a couple of weeks
- Beet leaves too can be included in diet as they are rich in calcium, iron and vitamins A and C
- Beetroots with round bottoms are sweeter than flat-bottomed ones
- People who have oxalate-containing kidney stones and those who are diabetic should limit consumption of beets
- One can also see white, golden yellow or even rainbow colour beets
So try some great recipes with Beets and Share it with your family and friends. You can share your recipe with us too. Do mail your unique Beets recipe, we will share it through our pages…..