Students from all over, travel to different cities across the country every year, for further studies or jobs and the major issue that they face is related to Accommodation, either they don’t find a good place or they have to change. There have been several instances, where students have to change their accommodation due to issues with the roommate, or due to ill behaviour of the owner or majorly because the locality isn’t as safe as it was supposed to be.
Living the early years with the family, it gets difficult to live out of your comfort zone and therefore, even families want to assure that their kids live in a similar environment as their homes. The research begins as soon as the results are announced. Here are a few things to keep in mind to stay safe & secure in any accommodation:
- Understanding your PG’s Terms & conditions, and asking questions regarding the same is a necessity. Every PG or accommodation has its own rules, workings and timings, make sure to have a thorough understanding of it all, and if you are comfortable with the conditions or not.
- While renting an accommodation, the very first thing, to stay safe, is to know and understand the security features of the accommodation and knowing if the landlord has proper permission to sublet his/her place and on what terms the person can sublet the property.
- Secondly, there have been cases where the pictures or details given on the app or web portal are not similar to the real place, make sure that the details given are true.
- Legal documents, like rental agreement or lease papers are to be made well read, All the clauses in the agreement should be read carefully. Understanding the deposit information thoroughly is majorly important, to avoid any issues at the end of the agreement period.
- While finalizing the pg or any accommodation make sure to document the condition of the rental, so that at the end of the rental period, there won’t be any confusion regarding what was provided or what was damaged.
- After, renting any accommodation, make sure to take care of your valuables and lock them while leaving the room, to avoid any thefts or even suspicions.
- In a new city, new area and a new locality, the nearest person you can put your trust upon are the neighbors, so understand, your neighbors and have their contacts, if, in case of any emergency.
- The landlords need to provide security cameras linked with police stations, proper fire exits and fire alarms need to be provided by the owners of the accommodation to have a proper secure environment for the students.
- If you ever feel that you aren’t secure enough at the place, mention it to the landlord and/or to the website or the app you rented it from. Asking your landlord for better security is your right, and the owner should provide you with the necessity.
- While living in a shared accommodation, the first thing that you need to maintain is the relation with your roommate. A healthy relationship is a must to avoid issues and misunderstanding.
- Provide contacts of your neighbors, roommates and landlord, to your family, to have proper access to you, even in difficult times.
These points and advice will be helpful for any student looking for an accommodation or has shifted recently to any PG.