It goes without saying that a motorcycle Helmet is the most crucial gear for any motorcyclist. In actual fact, the law requires any motorcycle operator to wear a helmet to help reduce severity of injuries during a crash.
There are so many brands on the market, and choosing the best Motorcycle Helmet may be overwhelming, especially for novice motorcyclists. We have precisely prepared this brochure to help you with your search.
In this article, you will find reliable buying tips that will lead you towards the best brands and models. In addition to the tips, we have supplied you with a list of the best models in price and performance that come highly recommended.
A motorcycle helmet is the most important gear and while buying you need to choose one that will protect you from severe injuries in case of a crash. Never choose a helmet because it’s expensive, but also check the features and performance.
Types of helmets – which is the best
There are four basic types of motorcycle helmets, which include full face, open face, modular, and off-road. Each of these helmets is best suited for a specific sport or out-of-doors adventure. The choice is really yours.
The full face models are considered to be the most effective ones as far as impact protection is concerned. The modular or flip-up models are fitted with a fully adjustable modular that allows you to transform the helmet into a half helmet for comfort and convenience.
The open face and half helmets are normally considered less effective insofar as impact protection is concerned. However, they are usually stylish and suitable for riding during summer. The off-road helmets are recommended for backcountry riding and racing.
How effective is the helmet’s impact protection
Protection features comprise of four key components and they include the outer shell, impact-absorbing liner, retention system and comfort padding. The outer shell is made of fiber composites that assist in reinforcement.
The composites allow the fiber material to contract during a hard impact. Impact-absorbing liner absorbs shock and deflects your head from any power of a hard impact. Comfort padding is the layer that touches your head; it also provides comfort and ensures that the helmet fits. The retention system ensures that the helmet always stays on your head even during a crash.
The best motorcycle helmet must meet the minimum safety standard, which is the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). You can avoid buying novelty helmets by ensuring that the helmet you are buying has a DOT sticker and any other voluntary standard sticker, such as ECE or Snell.
How ergonomic and user-friendly is the helmet?
The best model has to be ergonomic and user-friendly. A motorcycle helmet doesn’t have to be expensive to provide you with your desired comfort and convenience. The helmets that are liked most by users are usually convenient in more ways than one.
To begin with, they are DOT rated, meaning that they are capable of protecting you during a crash. Then they are packed with state-of-the-art features that no motorcyclist will refuse. What we are talking about here is clearly demonstrated in the helmet reviews below.
The importance of proper maintenance
Regardless of the helmet price it will eventually tire out. It is recommended to replace a helmet after every five years. However, you should replace your helmet immediately, if you suffer a crash or accident and the helmet experiences stress or tear.
Follow the manufacturer’s manual guide on how to take care of your helmet. Ensure to always keep it clean, scratch-free and store it in a clean, flat surface. This way, you will improve the durability and reliability of your helmet.
Best Motorcycle Helmet Reviews
1.HJC Solid Men’s CL-17 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
- CAPA certified
- DOT approved
- Side face shield lock
- Anti-scratch pin-lock face shield
- Polycarbonate composite shell
- Rapid-fire shield replacement system
The HJC Solid Men’s CL-17 full-face motorcycle helmet is an ultra-light helmet for the money. It uses the LS2s proprietary kinetic polymer alloy that makes it strong and flexible. It offers sun protection with its twin shield system drop down Sunshield.
The Sunshield is controlled by a cable slider that ensures you are protected from the UV light exposure in a smooth and dependable manner. The shield makes the helmet durable because it’s scratch and UV resistant.
For added durability, the helmet is strongly built and equipped with an optically corrected shield. It comes with an LS52s fog-fighter fog resistant insert for added durability. And offer excellent ventilation over long distances.
It features removable plates on the chin open MX-style, ensuring that you have more than enough ventilation while riding. The helmets quick –release chin strap is high performing and easy to open even with a gloved hand.
The straps are also secured with a full metal latch for better protection. The helmets metro is homologated by ECE 22.53 as a full face helmet and an open face helmet. So, it is after all a versatile model for the money.
- Durable, the helmet is fog, scratch and UV resistant. This ensures that the helmet lasts for a long period and can be used in all weather conditions.
- Excellent ventilation, being a fully adjustable helmet you will experience lots of ventilation to keep you cool even in hot weather.
- Protection, the helmet straps are secured with a full metal latch that ensures the chin bar is locked when closed.
- Easy to use, the helmet’s high-quality chinstrap is quick to release making it easy to remove and put on the helmet.
- Comfort, the helmets padding and fabric is washable and breathable. The pads are made of quality foam that is cut using the laser technology to provide you with added comfort.
- No specific UV protection ratings
Irrespective of the fact that the manufacturer has not specified the helmet’s UV rating, the HJC Solid Men’s CL-17 is what you need for your out-of-doors adventures.
2.Bell Qualifier Unisex-Adult Full Face Street Helmet
- DOT certified
- Removable and washable interior
- UV protected shield
- Multiple helmet sizes
- Lightweight polycarbonate shell construction
- Click release shield
- Fog resistant and anti-scratch shield
- Contoured cheek pads and padded chin straps
The Bell Qualifier Unisex-Adult Full Face Helmet is a well-engineered model that comes with up-to-the-minute design and performance features. This polycarbonate helmet is remarkably lightweight. Being lightweight you can carry it anywhere and use it on a daily basis.
It is fast and easy to use; it features a click release shield and a replacement tool-free shield. It is durable and will last for a long period of time. It is anti-fog, anti-scratch resistant and the shield is UV protected.
The helmet ensures that you stay ventilated throughout; it features a velocity flow ventilation system that is adjustable. The helmets padded wind collar reduces wind and road noise when you are out and about.
For added comfort the helmet comes in with contoured cheek pads. The padded chin strap with D-ring closure also offers more comfort. The helmet can accommodate extra gear. It is incorporated with speaker cutouts for communication and convenience.
- Durable, the helmet shield construction is Nutra-fog II anti-fog, UV protected and anti-scratch. This style ensures the helmet lasts for long and can be used in all weather conditions.
- Easy and fast to use, the click release shield and tool-free shield replacement system makes it easy to use the helmet even for new users.
- Unmatched comfort, the helmets contoured cheek pads offer you extra comfort when you put it on.
- Lightweight, the helmet polycarbonate construction makes it light to carry and feel no weight when putting it on.
- The sun shield is not true black as stated by the manufacturer.
Bell is a well-known brand as far as originality and performance are concerned. So, the Bell Qualifier is worth your every penny regardless of the negligible design flaws.
3.Scorpion EXO-T1200 Quattro Street Motorcycle Helmet
- Thermodynamic composite technology shell
- DOT certified
- Comes in two colors, white and silver
- Available in both large and extra-large sizes
- Air-Fit liner inflation system
- Venturi super vent ventilation system
- Advanced dual-density EPS
- ELLIP-Tec ratchet system
The Scorpion EXO-T1200 Quattro is the best motorcycle helmet for its price. This high-quality helmet features thermodynamic composite technology. This technology is made up of a five layer blend of interlaced and fiberglass that is well-formulated.
The process also comprises of aramid and organic poly-resin fibers. The helmet’s Ellip-Tec ratchet system offers security by providing you with a proper seal. It pulls the shield against the eye port gasket when closing.
The system also makes the helmet easy to use, because the tool-less changes in a few seconds. The VENTURI super ventilation system and the wind tunnel are designed to provide sufficient ventilation during high pursuit racing.
Scorpion EXO-T1200 Quattro comes with a personalized fit. This is possible with its AirFit liner inflation system that is made up of inflatable cheek pads that make the fit superior. The helmet consists of an advanced dual-density EPS.
The EPS is multi-layered to provide sufficient energy in all major areas, such as the chin bar.
- Comfort, with its state-of-the-art ventilation system, you are provided with efficient ventilation even in rough conditions
- Easy to use, its Ellip-Tec ratchet system offers you a proper seal and the tool-less face changes in just seconds.
- Unmatched impact protection, the fact that it is DOT rated should reassure you how effective this helmet will perform in case of a crash.
- The stylish helmet design with unique graphics will certainly provide you with a distinct personality on the track.
This is one of Scorpion’s best helmets, and the manufacturers did their best to provide you with a headgear that will not only offer you supreme impact protection, but also a unique personality.
4.YEMA Helmet YM-926 Dual Visor Modular Flip Up Motorcycle Helmet
- DOT approved
- Removable visor that is also extra-wide
- Double visors
- Lightweight ABS shell
- Improved ventilation system
- Aerodynamic design for noise reduction
- Washable and removable liner that is odor resistant
The YEMA YM-926 is a lightweight and high performing motorcycling helmet that is highly rated by users. This uniquely designed headgear comes in with an ABS shell and flip-up design. It is available on the market in a wide range of colors and sizes.
This provides you with a wide range of options to choose from. Being DOT approved, it is a high-quality helmet that will offer you safety and comfort. This is an easy to use and maintain motorcycle helmet.
The helmet’s liner is removable, washable, antibacterial and odor-resistant. You can easily operate it with your gloves on. It features double visors with a built-in and dropdown Sunshield, making it convenient.
The aerodynamic design makes the helmet’s operation whisper-free since it reduces noise. The helmet also features an advanced ventilation system, offering you comfort in any weather condition during high speed racing or riding.
- Easy to maintain, the helmet liner construction is removable making it easy to clean.
- Noise free, the helmet’s aerodynamic design maintains quiet operations, keeping you focused when riding.
- Convenience, it features double visors, which are easy to install and remove, and offer unrivaled performance against UV light.
- Durable, YEMA incorporated heavy-duty shell, EPS, and interior materials that offer long-lasting reliability and durability.
- The tinted visor is not super clear.
The YEMA YM-926 is certainly not an expensive model, but it has proven its worth on today’s market. Therefore, it is a good choice for the money.
We have covered the best motorcycle helmet models on today’s market. There are many other helmets that are considered high performing by users, but we settled for the abovementioned models because of their high-quality design features and unrivaled performance.
You should be able to find at least one motorcycle helmet that would best suit your application. If you are a fun of motorcycling and you are in need of a high performing helmet, then the reviewed products are what you need. And not to mention that they are competitively priced.
The post Best Motorcycle Helmet Reviews Of 2017: Ultimate Buying Guide appeared first on Helmet Now.