MARCOS or Marine Commandoes are Indian Navy’s Elite Forces, specialized in literally anything and everything. Known as the ‘Dadiwala Fauj’ (Bearded Army)among the terrorists in Kashmir. They are fast, deadly and undoubtedly the best in the world.
Here are few facts about MARCOS that will make you respect them.
- The Marine Commandos are trained for operations on air, land, and sea. Their training makes MARCOS tough nuts to crack. You can assume the level of training they receive from the fact that an Indian MARCO on an exchange program in the US topped the US Navy SEAL course which has an attrition rate of above 90% !!
- Those who are selected for the training are amongst the fittest officers in Indian Navy. MARCOS are selected through a process which includes a three-day physical fitness and aptitude test, which almost 80% participants fail. Those who are selected go through a five-week-long ‘hell’s week’ which includes sleep deprivation and intense physical training. Those that make it through, or don’t quit on their own, actually proceed to the actual training.
- They train along with the Special Forces officers of the Indian Army like the Para Commandos at the Commando Training School and various other agencies and within the Navy. After this basic training, they join for advanced training. This includes training for counter-insurgency, anti-hijacking, anti-piracy, clandestine operations, surveillance and reconnaissance, amphibious operations, unconventional warfare, and hostage rescue, among others. All MARCOS are para-jump qualified and most of them are free-fall (HALO) qualified.In fact, MARCOS are the handful of the special forces from around the world that are capable of being para-dropped into the sea with the full combat load.
- MARCOS are trained for high-altitude warfare, desert warfare, counter-insurgency, jungle warfare etc at various training centers across the country. There are no simulators or dummy cartridges in the training of MARCOS. The training is conducted with live ammunition and guns are always loaded.!
- During the hell’s week, there is a continuous physical training of over 20 hours per day with less than 4 hours to sleep! They are made to run through thick mud of thigh levels with a 25-kg load. This is then followed by a 2.5-km grueling obstacle course. Finally, after all the physical and mental drainage, they are supposed to shoot a target from 25 meters away with live ammo, with a co-cadet standing right beside it! That marks the end of hell’s week.
- The MARCOS are equipped with some of the best weapons in the world. The units are equipped with the Israeli Tavor TAR-21 assault rifle to which a 40 mm grenade launcher can be attached. The TAR-21 is weather sealed, so a MARCO can emerge out of the sea, weapon drawn and ready to shoot.
- Training is then followed over a two-year course for the selected candidates. It is said that by the end of training only 10 to 25% of the soldiers make the mark. After completion of training, a MARCO serves with the elite outfit for 3 to 5 years.
The MARCOS operations are the stuff of legends. Op Pawan in Sri Lanka, an operation to blow up the Jaffna jetty, saw MARCOS swim 12 km’s to their target with their combat load in tow. They then slipped in without being detected and blew up the harbor with explosives. They were immediately fired upon by the LTTE. The commandos returned fire and managed to swim back to the ship without any casualties.
The post 7 reasons why MARCOS, India’s elite forces is the best in the world. appeared first on zmilehub.com.