Here’s a heads-up for Iowa residents planning to go a college or university in their home state.
The Iowa Centennial Memorial Foundation is awarding Robert D. Blue Scholarship to students across the Hawkeye state.
Nine Iowa students received a $500 Robert D. Blue Scholarship in 2017. The number varies from year to year. The award is named after the late Blue, a governor of Iowa in the 1940s.
Application requirements include a 500-word essay on how a person in your community (other than a member of your family) has demonstrated the responsibilities of being a citizen.
Winners are chosen based on the essay and also on financial need, academic achievement and written recommendations.
The Robert D. Blue Scholarship Contest
Here’s how to enter to win a Robert D. Blue Scholarship.
Scholarship amount: From $500 to $1,000
To qualify for this scholarship, an applicant must be:
- An Iowa resident planning to go to a college or university in Iowa.
- A current high school senior or be enrolled in a college or university.
To apply, applicants must provide:
- High school and/or college transcripts.
- A copy of your parents’ or guardians’ federal income tax returns (if you are claimed as a dependent) or your own (and your spouse’s, if applicable) if you are independent.
- A list of awards or grants you’re receiving from your college’s financial-assistance office.
- The names and addresses of two people willing to write you a letter of recommendation.
- A 500-word essay on what your chosen person has done for the community.
Scholarship deadline: May 10, 2018
You can read the rest of the official rules and guidelines here.
If you’re looking for even more scholarships to apply for, be sure to check out our list of 100 scholarships that will help you pay for college.
Lisa McGreevy is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder.
This was originally published on The Penny Hoarder, which helps millions of readers worldwide earn and save money by sharing unique job opportunities, personal stories, freebies and more. The Inc. 5000 ranked The Penny Hoarder as the fastest-growing private media company in the U.S. in 2017.
Powered by WPeMatico