Today is my 25th birthday! I remember the day I turned 10 years old and vividly remember wondering what it would be like to turn 18 or even 21? Back then, 21 seemed so old, and honestly, I didn’t even consider life beyond 21. But here I am, entering my twenty-fifth year – I’m so grateful and blessed for the 25 years I’ve had so far. The past 5 years in particular, have taught me so much and I’ve learned so much about myself – who I aspire to be and where I want to go. I can’t wait to see where the next 25 will take me but while we’re looking forward here’s a look back at a few lessons life has taught me so far:
- Learning to forgive, is essential to finding personal happiness. Don’t wait for a verbal apology before you forgive someone. Forgive now, not because they deserve forgiveness but because you deserve peace.
- Simplify. Everything.
- Always choose quality over quantity.
- Learn to enjoy being an introvert. Relish those times spent alone or in the company of one or two. Delight yourself in a less-dramatic, less-complicated lifestyle.
- Stop comparing your journey to someone else. It’s just not worth it.
- Don’t ever, ever give up.
- Think of travel as a lifetime investment.
- New experiences and challenges force you to grow and in time help you become a better person.
- Becoming financially “wealthy” isn’t the end goal. Becoming happy, healthy and financially independent is.
- Don’t let failure hold you back.
- The majority of the time, the best moments you’ll remember were the simplest.
- Loyalty is rare. When you find it, don’t let it go.
- Work hard. Then come home and work even harder.
- Write down your goals and then demolish them.
- Invest in individuals who value you for being you.
- Don’t ever change under peer pressure or for what’s current or ‘cool’ and don’t live by other people’s expectations. On the other hand, appreciate those around you for who they are and don’t expect them to live up to the standards you set for yourself.
- Meditate daily.
- Always put your phone away when you’re at dinner with guests or family – they deserve your full attention!
- You own the power to how you react to situations and events.
- Don’t ever stop growing, changing and improving your life.
- Don’t be shy to take advice or ask for help.
- At the end of the day you’re responsible for your own happiness. Life will throw you the worst but its up to you, and you alone to make the best out of what you’re given.
- Most good things in life take time. Be patient, work hard and always show up.
- Always put your best foot forward, even on days you just don’t feel up to it.
- Count your blessings.
The post 25 Life Lessons I’ve Learned in 25 Years appeared first on Grace & Poise.
This post first appeared on Grace & Poise | Bringing Elegance, Style, Etiquett, please read the originial post: here