This New England style farmhouse was built circa 1848, by Samuel Wilder to resemble his former New York State home. Robert and Lucy Duff purchased this property in 1868; however, historians claim they lived at this location during the Civil War and that the Duff House was a station on the "Underground Railroad". The mission of the "Underground Railroad" was to secretly assist runaway slaves by a loosely constructed network of escape routes that originated in the South, intertwined throughout the North, and eventually ended in Canada. Stories are told of slaves from the South hidden in the cellar of the Duff House. In the dark of night, Robert Duff transported them by wagon to another station, Buena Vista Corners, 6 miles west of town, to continue their journey to freedom.
May this plaque serve as an everlasting memorial for all who suffered hardship and uncertainty to build a better life for future generations.
(Settlements & Settlers • Man-Made Features • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.