1) Charlize Theron Born in Benoni, Johannesburg. This Actress, model, dancer won the Best Actress Oscar for her 2003 performance in Monster. She has been on the cover of Vanity Fair and is the face of J adore. She has recently appeared in Snow White and The Huntsmen and it’s sequel The Huntsmen: Winters War. 2) Lupita N’yongo Current African IT Girl, Lupita started her film career behind the scenes. Lupita starred in a short film East River and the MTV series Sugga before she had a breakthrough performance in the film 12 Years a Slave, winning herself an Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role. 3) Thandi Newton Zimbabwean actress. Thandi started her acting career in 1991. She has starred in blockbusters such as Mission Impossible, Swordfish and Norbit alongside Eddie Murphy. She won a BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actress in the film Crash. Thandi has made numerous appearances in Hollywood series including ER. 4) Ella Thomas Eritrea born actress and model, Ella Thomas has starred in numerous series including Parenthood, CSI: NY, CSI: Miami, Castle, as P Diddy’s fiance in Entourage and most recently in Ballers. She appeared in the 2009 movie Surrogates alongside Bruce Willis. This beauty has also been in editorial spreads and print ads for Vogue, Glamour, ELLE, Gap, Tiffany & Co. and Levi’s.
5) Michelle Van Der Water Michelle played the lead role in the films Teeth and Blood, VI and Solace. This Cape Town born actress starred in Melrose Place, Castle, NCIS: Los Angeles and ER. She has guest starred in the series One on One.
6) Liya Kebede Discoverd in high school by a film director. This high fashion model and actress has appeared in Lord of War, The Good Shepherd and Samba. She has also graced the covers of Paris Italian,Vogue and has been the face of Yves Saint-Laurent, Victoria’s Secret, Tommy Hilfiger, Revlon, Dolce & Gabbana, and Louis Vuitton.
7) Sasha Pieterse Sasha landed her 1st major role when she was just 13 on the hit series Pretty Little Liars. She also appeared in supporting roles in the films Geek Charming and G.B.F. Sasha starred in the children’s action movie Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl and in X-Men: First Class.
8) Akosua Busia Actress and Director Akosua is famous for her role in the movie The Color Purple. She appeared in the films Native Son, Tears of the Sun and played Ruth in Badge of Assassins. Akosua has appeared in ER and co written Noon Blue with Stevie Wonder.
9) Omotola Jalade Ekeinde The first African celebrity to have a million likes on her Facebook page, Omotola started her acting career in 1995. She starred in the VH1 series Hit The Floor and has starred in over 300 movies including A Private Storm, Last Flight to Abuja and Ties That Bind. Omotola appeared in Forbes magazine on the 100 Most Influential People in 2013.
10) Rita Waturuocha Winning the 2012 African Movie Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role, Rita starred in A Time to Kill, Face of a Liar and ’76. With over 100 more films behind her she also won the African Magic Viewers Choice in 2013.
11) Yvonne Chinyere Okoro Ghanaian born actress made her acting debut in 2002 in Sticking to the Promise. She has twice won the African Movie Academy Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role and won Best Actress in the 2010 Ghana Movie Awards. Her famous movies include Queen Lateefah, Beyonce: The Presidents Daughter and Forbidden City.
12) Terry Pheto The South African actress made her acting debut in the Oscar nominated movie, Tsotsi. She has won the Best Supporting Actress African Movie Award for her role in How to Steal 2 Million. Terry landed a role on the famous US soapier The Bold and The Beautiful, has appeared in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom and Catch a Fire. She has graced the covers of Elle, Vanity Fair and Marie Claire and is the African face of L’Oreal.
13) Chipo Chung Chipo started her acting career in theater, playing Condoleezza Rice. She appears in the series, Doctor Who and made her film debut as the voice of Icarus in Sunshine. The Zimbabwean actress played Mary Magdalene in the series AD The Bible Continues and appears in the film Thirteen.
14) Kandyse McClure Kandyse started her acting career in 1999 and got her first lead role the telefilm, In a Class of His Own. She has starred as Anastasia in Battlestar Galactica and appeared in Hemlock Grove. This South African actress starred in the 2000 film Just Deal.
15) Genevieve Nnaji This Nigerian actress started out as a child actress in the soap opera Ripples. Nicknamed the African Julia Roberts by Oprah Winfrey Genevieve has starred in a lot of movies like Most Wanted, Last Party and the multi a warded Ijé: The Journey. She has also been the face of Lux and MUD in Nigeria.
16) Lesley-Anne Brandt South African actress Lesley started her acting career in New Zealand. She has since starred in Spartacus as Naevia and in Lucifer as Mazikeen. She has appeared in the American series’s Zombie Apocalypse, CSI:NY and The Librarians.
17) Leleti Khumalo Famous for her lead role in the award film Sarafina alongside Whoopi Goldberg, Leleti won the 1987 NAACP Award for Best Stage Actress for the stage production of the film. Recently she starred in Hotel Rwanda, Invictus and the Oscar nominated film Yesterday.
18) Dena Kaplan Actress, singer and dancer Dena Kaplan is famous for her role as Keli in the Australian series Flight of the Conchords and playing Abigail in Dance Academy. She starred in Honey 3: Dare to Dance and a stage production of The Lion King.
19) Pearl Thusi Pearl started out as a model in South Africa, she moved on to presenting LIVE: Amp and MTV’s Lip Sync Battle Africa. She starred in Tremors: Bloodlines and is currently playing Dayana Mampasi in the series Quantico.
20) Benu Mabhena Zimbabwean actress Benu is most famous for her role in Blood Diamonds alongside Leonardo DiCaprio where she plays the role of Jassie, Hounsou’s wife.
The post 20 most popular Actresses in Africa appeared first on Media And Lifestyle.