I've juiced just about every fruit and veggie under the sun . . . save for pumpkins. But after years of reading Harry Potter, I had to know what true, freshly squeezed pumpkins taste like. It's a known fact that muggles drink OJ, but wizards grow up on pumpkin Juice, a bright orange beverage made of pumpkins. However, PJ isn't exclusive to mornings. It's a staple for lunch, supper, and parties.
Pumpkin is a starchy gourd, so even after it has been juiced, it needs a little acid and sweetness to balance it out, hence the addition of apple, lemon, and ginger. So go ahead and juice up some PJ to start the morning off in a magical way. Don't be surprised if you feel a little more powerful after consumption.
Pumpkin Juice Recipe
Inspired by Harry Potter
- 1/2 pumpkin, seeds and stem removed, cut to fit juicer
- 1 red apple, core and stem removed, cut to fit juicer
- 1 Meyer lemon, cut to fit juicer
- 1-inch piece ginger, skin removed
- In a fruit and vegetable juicer, juice all ingredients. Discard solids. Strain juice through a fine-mesh sieve before serving in glasses. Add a few ice cubes to the glasses if you prefer a colder beverage. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container and refrigerate for one day or up to three days, if using a masticating juicer.
- Drinks, Mocktails
- 2 servings
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes