Every car has a small space dedicated to placing the radio and this space is referred to as DIN. The full form is Deutsches Institut für Normung which refers to a 2×8 inch measurement, first established by German vehicle manufacturers. Earlier, single DIN size was used in vehicles, but now Double Din radios have become quite common. Additionally, double DIN measures 4×8 inches.
A DIN head unit is a multimedia device that is installed in the dashboard of your car. Moreover, a double-DIN head unit gives you better control options and extra input capacity for better entertainment while you are on a long drive. It also allows you to connect it to your smartphone, tablet, and other Bluetooth-compatible devices for extensive file sharing.
Your playlist can be easily shared from your phone to the double DIN unit using Bluetooth. This unit gives you the option to access multiple media sources from USBs, SD cards, radios, mp3 players, smartphones, and CD/DVD players. You can even charge your phone on double-DIN car stereos.
Here are some of the best double din head units that can enhance your listening experience while driving your car.
Best Double DIN Head Unit – Comparative Table
|1. Pioneer AVH-1300NEX
Buy on Amazon
|2. Boss Audio BV9364B
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
|4. JVC KW-V85BT
Buy on Amazon
|5. Sony XAV-AX100
Buy on Amazon
|6. Pioneer FH-S700BS
Buy on Amazon
|7. Boss BV9358B
Buy on Amazon
Best Double DIN Head Units- Our Reviews and Comparisons:
1. Pioneer AVH-1300NEX
The Pioneer AVH-1300NEX features a 6.2-inch VGA touchscreen with a user-friendly interface. It is designed to support all types of audio and video file formats. The layout is big and easy to read and the touchscreen is very responsive. With Bluetooth capability, this device can stream your playlist from any of your devices.
- The Pioneer AVH-1300NEX comes with Apple CarPlay compatibility and a disc slot that can play both CDs and DVDs.
- It can support a USB device and a Bluetooth device.
- There is also an AUX input. Besides, it can connect to satellite radio and AM/FM frequency.
- The peak power output is 50 watts while the RMS is at 22 watts.
- The sound quality is excellent and you can tailor your music with a 13-band graphic equalizer, auto EQ, low/high pass crossover, and time adjustment.
What We Like About Pioneer AVH-1300NEX
The device is compatible with Apple Carplay.
What We Don’t Like About Pioneer AVH-1300NEX
The USB port is located at the back of the stereo. Also, it doesn’t support Android Auto.
|Resumes music where it stopped
Multiple phones can be connected
|The mic is large and sticks out from the dashboard|
2. Boss Audio BV9364B
Boss Audio BV936 is a car stereo with a responsive touchscreen. The Bluetooth compatibility allows you to listen to music from your devices and also play music files on optical disks. If you want to listen to the radio, AM/FM radio stations are also present.
- Comes with a wireless remote for quick navigation.
- Pre-amp support is present if you have your own custom sound systems.
- Steering wheel controls are supported.
- Bluetooth compatibility for streaming media seamlessly using your smart devices.
- The device is fitted with bass, treble, balance, and fader controls.
- You can use play a wide variety of formats, including CD, DVD, USB, SD, radio, and auxiliary inputs.
What We Like About Boss Audio BV9364B
There is pre amp support for customization of the device.
What We Don’t Like About Boss Audio BV9364B
Volume control on this Boss double DIN unit is inconsistent.
|Supports Bluetooth streaming
3. Pioneer MVH-S600BS
This unit is a budget car stereo that incorporates both traditional and modern designs. The display is bright and can change color to match the interior of your car. You can connect your phone via Bluetooth for hands-free answering and making calls.
- Compatible with both iPhone and Android
- It is equipped with MIXTRAX. This is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects.
- There are pre-amp outputs to connect the device to external speakers.
- The unit sports a built-in MOSFET amplifier for improving audio quality
What We Like About Pioneer MVH-S600BS
It is fitted with Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) to recognize smart devices faster.
What We Don’t Like About Pioneer MVH-S600BS
The instruction manual is hard to understand
Media transfer protocol
Easy to install
|The touchscreen has delayed response|
4. JVC KW-V85BT
This is an easy-to-install device that can fit any car. It features superior smartphone integration and audio quality. Besides, the JVC KW-V85BT also possesses efficient sound customization abilities to control the sound quality.
- The unit is Bluetooth compatible and can be paired with two phones at a time.
- It features a big screen and a user-friendly interface.
- The peak power stands at 50 watts while the RMS is at 22 watts.
- The unit highlights a 13-band Graphic equalizer with 8 selectable tone curves.
What We Like About JVC KW-V85BT
The unit has a quick-to respond LCD screen.
What We Don’t Like About JVC KW-V85BT
The LCDs a low-quality picture
|Low levels of interference present|
5. Sony XAV-AX100
If you are looking to upgrade the audio and entertainment experience in your vehicle without burning your pocket, then Sony XAV AX100 will be a great choice. The unit comes with a bright display. Even though the screen is smaller in size, the quality of the product is top-notch.
- The unit employs Active Matrix technology, which allows the screen to produce vivid colors and high fidelity display.
- It features a VGA display and has resistive touchscreen technology means, which makes it just as responsive as your mobile phone.
- It has five channel pre-amp outputs to increase customization.
- It can support both Apple Carplay and Android Auto
What We Like About Sony XAV-AX100
The unit highlights a bright display and responsive screen.
What We Don’t Like About Sony XAV-AX100
The audio quality needs to be improved.
|Active Matrix technology
6. Pioneer FH-S700BS
This piece of machine is another entry from Pioneer for car stereos. With a great design and a bigger screen, the Pioneer FH-S700BS showcases a user-friendly interface. If you are planning on installing external speakers try to get the Pioneer brand speakers. This double DIN functions extremely well with a Pioneer speaker.
- The built-in Bluetooth support allows for wireless audio streaming and hands-free calling.
- A noteworthy feature of the device is that you can customize the display. The text color, as well as the button illumination color, can be adjusted. Moreover, there are over 210,000 color choices to choose from.
- For better control over music, there is a five-band graphic equalizer.
- It is equipped with Mixtrax technology for enhancing the display.
What We Like About Pioneer FH-S700BS
The device has a commendable design with a wide variety of customization options for display.
What We Don’t Like About Pioneer FH-S700BS
The unit has durability issues
|Great value for money
Good audio quality
7. Boss BV9358B
If you are looking for a cheap and best double DIN head unit and don’t want Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility, then the Boss BV9358B is a great pick. It can allow access to your backup camera and steering wheel controls as well.
- It comes with a peak power output of 80 Watts.
- This double din head unit offers features including a CD DVD player with decent video output quality.
- It can also play multiple file-formats including MP3, WMA, and AVI through its USB port.
- There are preamp outputs to control the speakers in the front, rear, and also subwoofer.
What We Like About Boss BV9358B
The sound quality of the device is noteworthy.
What We Don’t Like About Boss BV9358B
It is not compatible with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
The best double DIN head unit according to our review is the Sony XAV-AX100. Sporting a 6.4-inch screen with a VGA display, it has Active Matrix technology. This technology helps the device to display bright and vivid colors, improving the clarity of the illustrations on the double DIN head. Besides, the audio quality is also decent considering the price.
Double DIN heads are better than single DINs because the former offers more space and features. Always choose one with Bluetooth compatibility and a good display. These two make your entertainment experience convenient while you are on a long drive.
This is the most basic functionality to check for. You might be driving in different weather conditions, but your double DIN’s screen should be visible to you for easy navigation and better convenience. Therefore, go for a bright display and decent resolution.
Always look for the peak power rating of the device. This will influence the loudness of your music and also its clarity to some extent. Pick stereos that have at least 50 watts of peak power rating.
The interface of the double-DIN should be user-friendly. It should have an easy layout so you don’t have to go looking for options while you are driving since it can be dangerous. Remember you will be operating the double DIN while driving, hence, visibility and user-friendliness are two important factors. This should influence your decision while buying the best double DIN head unit.
We hope our review on the best double DIN head units helped you make a choice.
The post Best Double DIN Head Units for Superior Audio and Control appeared first on Music Authority.
Best Double DIN Head Units for Superior Audio and Control was first posted on April 2, 2021 at 10:01 am.
©2019 "Music Authority". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at [email protected]