Fishing started centuries ago. People used to set up traps or use arrows to catch Fish. Fishing this way took longer, and the yields were much less. However, equipment used for fishing has improved over the years.
Below is a list of ten fishing gear for beginners. Most of them are simple to use and are readily available. Beginners are encouraged to have them when they are going fishing.
Not only do they make fishing more manageable, but also improve their safety. Here they are.
1. A fishing licenseFishing laws are different in every state. Some states you will have to get a fishing license before you can fish while in other states you don't need any permit. Licensing is done to ensure that there is no overfishing or to protect endangered species of fish.
If you are found fishing in a state where you need to have a license to fish, you may be fined or even jailed.
Before you go out fishing, you need to be aware of the state's laws on fishing. If you need to have a license to fish, you should get one before you go fishing.
2. Fishing reels
There are many types of fishing reels. Some popular types of fishing reels include the baitcasting reel, spincast reels, surf fishing reels, offshore fishing reels, and spinning reel. All of them are very effective, but beginners are encouraged to go fishing using a spinning reel.
Besides beginners, the spinning reel is a popular fishing reel among anglers for a couple of reasons. They are versatile, accurate, easier to use and to attach on the fishing rod.
3. A fishing rodUnless you have traps or nets set up, using a fishing rod is one of the best and easiest ways to catch a fish. You can use a long piece of wood and a fishing line and still catch fish.
However, today, there are a lot of different types of fishing rods which have reels on them currently being sold on the market. They are more effective, easier to use, and very durable.
When choosing a fishing rod, always go for fishing rods that suit your needs and the type of fishing you will be doing. Beginners are encouraged to use the medium strength fishing rods. They are easy to use and can be used to fish different types of fish.
4. Fishing linesYour fishing line is as vital as your fishing expedition. Always ensure that you have a couple of fishing lines when you are going fishing. Fishing lines regularly break due to harsh fishing conditions or even a fish breaking the line.
If you are not well prepared, you may lose your catch or waste a lot of time going for more fishing lines.
Some factors need to be considered when choosing your fishing lin. The rough the waters, the thicker and stronger the line needs to be.
If the waters are calm and clear, thin, and almost invisible fishing lines should be used. The kind of fish you want to fish also affects the kind of line you will use.
5. Fishing hooksThere are many types of hooks which are used differently. Bigger, longer, and thicker hooks are used to catch bigger fish while small hooks for catching small fish like trout.
It is always safe to have many and different types of hooks. Just like fishing lines, hooks also frequently get lost. Beginners are encouraged to use a single hooks.
6. Line cutterFishing lines frequently get caught, and fishermen are forced to cut them. Because they are tough, it is difficult to cut them using your hands. If you try, the fishing line may injure you.
Fishermen use knives or nail cutters to cut the fishing lines free. Any of the two can do, but fishermen prefer a nail cutter because they are smaller and easily accessible.
It is also advisable to use a line cutter that is versatile and can be used for other purposes apart from cutting a fishing line. For beginners, it is better to use a sharp pocket knife as your line cutter. They are portable and very versatile.
7. Fishing luresFishing lures work as efficiently as live baits. Lures are brightly colored baits which are designed to look like small fish to attract larger fish. Unlike using live bait during fishing, lures can be used more than once.
The type of fishing lures you will use depends on the kind of fish you are fishing and the weather.
When it is sunny, and you are fishing in clear water, you are encouraged to use brightly colored lures because fish can easily see them. If it is cloudy or you are fishing in dirty water, it is better to use dull lures.
A plier is a crucial tool any fisherman needs to have. They are very versatile and durable. Without them, catching a lot of fish may take longer. Pliers are used for pulling out hooks from the fish's mouth. Using your hands will take longer, and you can also injure your fingers while doing it.
Getting pricked by the hooks on the skin is common when fishing. Pliers can be used to remove the hooks from your skin easily.
Apart from removing hooks from caught fish and the skin, pliers can be used to repair or adjust other fishing equipment like the fishing rod and reel.
9. SunglassesMost people overlook the importance of wearing sunglasses when fishing. Sunglasses are essential accessories each fisherman needs to have.
When it is clear and sunny, it may become difficult to see under clear water. Sunglasses allow you to see under the water. It also protects your eyes from solid particles like mud or dust.
You can also fish comfortably even when it rains since sunglasses will be protecting your eyes from direct raindrops. Wearing sunglasses protect your eyes from direct sun rays, which may be harmful to the eyes.
10. First aid kitFishing is dangerous. When you are outdoors, anything can happen. It is always better to prepare for the worst. Whether it is a minor or a fatal accident, you have to find a way to contain the situation before help comes.
Fishermen are always advised to carry a first aid kit when they are going for a fishing expedition. It should contain all the essential first aid kit equipment like scalpels, bandages, and antiseptic ointment.