Many people convert HTML site to Wordpress or migrate from other formats to access the useful features of the platform. Professionals also find the CMS to be a convenient and productive tool for web development. The platform makes it easy to create an interface with numerous pre-built templates available to users. However, it is necessary that they know about the vital design principles for WordPress which will be helpful in building attractive and high-performance websites. A list of important design fundamentals is being presented here. Applying these basic principles to the process will help in the creation of visually appealing interfaces which communicate their message effectively.
1. Creating Visual Hierarchy In The LayoutVisual hierarchy is compulsory for effective web design. It involves presenting the elements and other constituents of a layout according to their importance. The prominence given to key components helps in guiding visitors to a preferred location. Size is a common hierarchical tool and designers give large dimensions to major objects of a page. Another useful tool is Colour which acts as a powerful attention-grabbing device. The key elements can be painted in bright shades to draw people to them. Professionals must list all the elements of a layout and order them according to their importance. This will be helpful in creating an effective visual hierarchy for the project.
2. Ensuring Balance In The DesignAll good designers ensure that there is visual balance in the layout they create. Balance must not be confused with symmetry and even asymmetrical templates can have even visual weight. The distribution of the components, texture, colour, and space must be in such a manner that the design looks pleasing. Stability helps to clarify the path users must take while visiting the website. It also has a calming and comforting influence on the human brain. This helps in ensuring that the conversion rate remains high as people easily experience the important sections of the interface.
Navigation is one of the most critical aspects of website designing. Defining a well-organized and simple navigation path helps people easily move through different sections of an interface. Most users arrive on a website with the aim of fulfilling an objective. The navigation structure must aid the users in meeting their goal by providing them with an intuitive and confusion-free path. A clear navigation arrangement enables good user experience and keeps the bounce rate at lower levels. An efficient structure helps users reach an intended area in as few clicks as possible.
3. Defining A Clear Navigation Structure
4. Leaving Sufficient White Space On A PageThe space between graphics, columns, images, text, margins, and other elements which helps differentiate between them is called white space. It is also called negative space and leaving enough of this empty area on a page is one of the most important design principles for WordPress or any other developer. It helps in adding emphasis to a component and drawing the viewer’s attention towards an element. Intelligently using this blank space helps in giving an organized and elegant look to the interface. It is also instrumental in making the text content more legible and improves user experience and engagement.
5. Identifying The Focus Of The Web PageEvery web page has a focal point which must be given the most prominence. The focus will differ from one project to another and some projects can have two or three focal points. This centrepiece could be a branding instrument or a message. It is the responsibility of the developer to create a layout which draws the visitors’ attention towards the focus. The design must highlight the focus and make it stand out among all other elements on the page.
6. Planning The Color Scheme For The ProjectA well-planned colour scheme is compulsory for any web design project. Professionals must plan the entire colour palette for a layout by assessing the client requirements and existing branding strategies. They must not use more than two or three shades in a project. Basic colour for the project must be selected and its variations must be consistently used across all pages. Another shade which compliments the basic colour must also be chosen for the layout. Many WordPress themes offer the option of making the primary and secondary colour selection.
7. Select Simple Typographical ElementsThe visitors must be able to grasp the message of the website effortlessly. It is, therefore, essential to use simple typographical elements which do not strain the eyes of the users. Choose a font according to the branding strategy and make sure that it will be easily loaded on all browsers. Handwriting fonts must be avoided unless a project specifically demands its usage. Moreover, developers must not use too many fonts in a layout. The ideal number of fonts for an efficient design is two and the selections must improve the content legibility.
ConclusionThese basic design principles for WordPress are essential for creating a layout with immense visual appeal and organized structure. Developers must incorporate these practices into their work to improve their efficiency and productivity.
Jacob Graves is a Sr. WordPress Developer at HireWPGeeks Ltd, a company that migrate website to wordpress in a convenient manner. He is a passionate writer and loves to share Wordpress and SEO related tutorials.