When is Diwali?The exact dates change every year, however, this year, Diwali 2018 falls on weekday 7th November.
Facts about Diwali
- Diwali is a famous religious festival originating in India. individuals typically consider Diwali as a Hindu festival, however, it's additionally celebrated by Sikhs and Jains.
- Diwali takes place annually and lasts for 5 days, marking the beginning of the Hindu New Year. The precise dates change every year and are determined by the position of the moon – however it always falls between October and November.
- The word Diwali (or Deepavali as it’s typically called) suggests that “row of lights” in an Ancient language of Asian nation, known as Sanskrit. Throughout this festival, individuals beautify their homes with lights and oil lamps, known as Diyas.
- For several people, Diwali honours the Hindu god of wealth, Lakshmi. The lights and lamps are aforementioned to assist Lakshmi to notice her manner into peoples’ homes, transferral prosperity within the year to come!
- It’s additionally a celebration of excellent triumphing over evil, and completely different legends supported this theme are related to Diwali. In northern India, Hindus celebrate the come back of the deities (gods) Rama and Sita to the town of Ayodhya, when defeating the evil king Ravana!
- Within the region of the geographical area, individuals worship the god Kali, the destroyer of evil forces, throughout Diwali. And in an Asian country (a country bordering north-east India), individuals celebrate Lord Krishna’s success over the wicked king Narakaasura.
- However, it’s not almost lights and legends –– Diwali could be a time to possess fun with friends and family! people exchange gifts and sweets, fancy delicious feasts, watch firework displays and wear new garments. It’s a time to wash and beautify your home, too.
- Rangoli could be a popular Diwali tradition –– lovely patterns created exploitation colourful powders and flowers. people draw rangoli on the ground by the doorway of their homes to welcome the gods and convey sensible luck!
- Today, this fascinating festival is well known by thousands of individuals in countries all round the world. throughout Diwali, Hindus living outside India gather at places of worship known as mandirs to depart offerings to deities, watch firework displays and eat delicious food together!
- Town of Leicester, within the uk, holds the biggest Diwali celebrations outside of India. Every year, tens of thousands of people take in the streets to fancy vivacious shows of sunshine, music and dancing!
This post first appeared on The Edge Search, please read the originial post: here