A Sewing Machine can be a man's best friend once they have mastered the art of sewing using a sewing machine. However, if you are a beginner, then the experience of stitching using a sewing machine might not be as blissful! There is still a provision for you to learn more.
With time, you will master the art of using a sewing machine, and it might get hard to get your fingers off the computer. But to attain that level, the beginning or the start needs to be well planned. For example, it cannot be like, one beautiful day you wake up and decide to start sewing. So you go to this store and pick up a random sewing machine, come back home and start stitching.
That is not how it works! There are different types of sewing machines that are designed to achieve a particular kind of sewing work. So, before you buy or lend a sewing machine, you need to know what type of sewing machine you need and then accordingly choose a particular type of sewing machine.
Thus, before choosing a sewing machine for yourself consider a few things.
Sit with a pen and paper and answer these following questions first:
- For what type of sewing work do you need the sewing machine?
- What is your budget? Will you be able to afford a high-end sewing machine? If yes then go for it. If no, then settle for an affordable sewing machine.
- What is your level or how much skill you have in sewing?
However, if you are a beginner, you might not have figured out the sewing machine you need! Not to worry, here we will help you find out that one sewing machine that will suit you and yours needs perfectly. So read on to decode the method of choosing a sewing machine for yourself.
Tips for choosing the best sewing machine for oneself:-
- Do not rush – this may not sound like a great word of advice but trust me this is. Especially for beginners, who probably are too excited to bag their first project, so they rush to get their first machine as soon as possible. In this process, you might take home a device that you later find out that is not working correctly or does not serve your purpose well. So, instead of rushing, it is recommended to take your time, visit stores, shortlist the products and then finally choose the desired sewing machine.
- The weight matters – The weight of the sewing machine that you are going to buy helps you understand the build type of the device. If the machine is massive then it is likely to be made up of metals, if the sewing machine is comparatively lighter then it is expected that some parts of the device are made up of metal parts, and some parts are made up of plastic. And if the machine is light weighted, then it can be quickly concluded that the device is probably entirely made up of plastic.
A metal bodied machine if it is going to be fixed in a spot and a plastic body sewing machine is preferable if you are going to travel with it.
- Your budget – Always consider your budget! Do not opt for a machine that you cannot afford. It is not necessary that you have to have a high-end sewing machine to showcase your skills. At the end of the day, if you are skilled enough, you will perform best even with a low-end product.
- Consider the features – This goes without saying that you should be considering the features. You may find features like a stretch stitch or quilting features or any other feature.
- Suitability – this is the most critical feature that anyone buying a sewing machine should consider. For different sewing purposes, special features are required.
For home décor purpose, the machine should have an automatic buttonhole option, but if you need the machine for hemming, then a device with a free arm is recommended as it makes the job of hemming easier. Thus, a sewing machine should be chosen based on the work purpose.
Do consider the servicing, manual and warranty parts – the manual will help understand the machine better whereas a warranty will save a few bucks. Also, free servicing helps to maintain the device in better condition. So these points should be considered while buying a machine.
So these were all the tips that will help you choose a sewing machine for yourself.
- Important tip - No matter what machine you buy, do not use it roughly and it will last a more extended period of time and serve it's purpose nicely.