Thanksgiving is a beautiful opportunity to be thankful for everything that we have and to show our gratitude to our lovely friends and family.
The best part of Thanksgiving is decorating the table with a variety of recipes and having your loved ones by your side to celebrate this beautiful day. But who has the time to make a table full of outstanding dishes apart from spending so much time on the traditional turkey?
Well, if you are overthinking how to place a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with so less time left, here are 5 simple recipes. You will need not more than half an hour to prepare these.
1. Creamy corn pudding:
This recipe has a delicious base of cornmeal and a lovely topping of Greek yoghurt which you can substitute with sour cream. The pudding will be a delicious dish to join your table in no time.
What you need:
- 2/3 cups of flour
- Baking powder
- 1 egg
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 can of regular corn, drained
- 2/3 cup of cornmeal
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt or ½ cup sour cream
- 1 can of cream style corn
- 1 ½ cups of chopped onions
- Add cornmeal, baking powder, flour, sugar, oil and salt in a bowl and mix them. Mix to make sure the flour does not have lumps. Use a fork instead of a spoon or a beater to do so.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and keep it ready. In a clean bowl mix butter, Greek yoghurt or sour cream and egg together to make it frothy and smooth. Add to it cream corn and corn from the cans and finally the dry mixture from step 1.
- Grease your baking tray with butter and pour this mixture. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with onions and place it in the oven for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Finally, garnish with herbs and little sour cream to serve. Serve it with a glass of gorgeous Pinot Noir.
2. Pumpkin chocolate bars:
What is Thanksgiving without a chocolate recipe? The pumpkin and chocolate together in the recipe will give you major dessert goals. And if you use dark chocolate then this will be an extremely healthy recipe to serve at your dinner.
What you need :
- 2 spoons of vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups flour
- Unsalted butter
- Chocolate chips
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- Whisk the pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt and flour together in a bowl and set this aside.
- Whisk the butter with granulated sugar using an electric mixer or stand until the mixture is smooth and creamy. To this add vanilla extract, egg and finally the pumpkin puree. Mix till the time it looks slightly curdled. Now add the ingredients from the previous bowl along with the chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the baking tray with butter. Spread the batter and bake it for about 40 minutes. The edges should begin to pull away from the sides. To make sure insert a toothpick in the centre to know if it is ready.
- Cool the bars and cut them into small squares and serve them with chocolate sauce.
3. Cauliflower and Broccoli Gratin:
If you want to add some healthy veggies to your dinner then this will be the perfect choice for you.
What you need:
- Low-fat cheddar cheese [shredded]
- Parmesan cheese [shredded]
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- 16-ounces fresh broccoli
- Low-fat mayonnaise
- 16-ounce fresh cauliflower
- 2 cups sliced green onion
- Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Breadcrumbs
- Dijon mustard
- Clean and arrange the cauliflower and broccoli over a steamer basket on top of boiling water. Cover and let it steam for about 8 minutes till it is crisp but tender. Now drain and keep it aside.
- Grease a baking dish and arrange the cauliflower and broccoli.
- In a bowl mix mayonnaise, onion, cheddar and parmesan cheese along with mustard and red pepper. Add this mixture to the tray.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and Italian seasoning before placing it for baking. Bake at 350 degrees and let it cook for 25 minutes until golden.
4. Fried Brussels and Sprouts:
Pan fried Brussel sprouts paired with walnuts and capers only need some slight tossing. In no time you can make a flavoursome dish.
What you need:
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1 serrano chile [ minced]
- Olive oil
- ½ cup walnut chopped coarsely
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cups parsley leaf
- 1 pound Brussel sprouts
- 1 tablespoon of salt-packed capers [patted dry]
- Red wine vinegar
- 2 scallions white and green parts [both sliced]
- Canola oil
- 4 salt-packed anchovy fillets [minced]
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a medium pot. Add garlic, red wine vinegar, walnuts, honey, scallions, olive oil, serrano and anchovies in a bowl and mix and keep them aside.
- Now deep fry the Brussel sprouts in small batches and keep them until the edges begin to curl. This should take about 3 minutes on medium heat.
- While frying the final batch add some capers and parsley. Wait till the parsley turns deep green and remove the contents. Add the fried sprouts and the rest to the bowl and toss and mix them. Add salt and pepper and serve this healthy and delicious meal.
5. Baked Potato Casserole:
This is an easy potato recipe that will blow your mind with its simple yet flavourful taste. Using Greek yoghurt in place of mayo will make it a healthy recipe and also give you some extra proteins.
What you need:
- ¾ sour cream
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt or sea salt
- Olive oil
- 2 cups medium potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 5 or 6 green onions
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- Grease potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper. Grease the baking sheet and place the potatoes on the tray.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake the potatoes for about 45 – 60 minutes. Cook till tender and let this cool.
- Preheat the tray to 350 degrees. Cut the potatoes into small pieces and stir with mayonnaise and sour cream.
- In a bowl add bacon, cheese and sliced onion and add them to the top of the casserole. Stir all the ingredients together.
- Grease a baking tray and keep it ready. Spread shredded cheese and bacon on top of the casserole after spreading it on the tray.
- Cover the tray with a foil sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes. Top with sliced onions and serve hot. As an alternative add spicy roasted chickpeas to the top.