Whether we have trouble carrying out our daily chores or drowning while driving, lack of Sleep needs to be taken seriously.
Moreover, rest can be considered a divine action. Remember: "And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified him because on that day he rested from all the work of creation which he had made" ( Gen 2: 3 ). Resting does not only mean regaining strength to restart better. It is also an act of humility, freedom and trust in God our Father.
A good sleep is important for spiritual combatThis is not the first thing we think about, but resting is also important for spiritual combat. Lack of sleep lowers our deferences makes us more vulnerable to all kinds of tensions, irritations and temptations.
The struggle to fall asleep can cause people to depend on sleeping pills, drugs or alcohol. It is no wonder that lack of sleep affects mental health and can lead to depression or addiction.
Start with ba-baYour sleep can depend on many factors, such as your eating habits, physical activity and prayer. Being healthy will help you sleep better at night.
- There is evidence that good eating habits help you sleep better.
- Regular physical activity helps fight stress and anxiety and allows for better sleep. The morning and afternoon seem to be the most favourable times to play sports.
- A good prayer life provides spaces for meditation, forgiveness and peace, and helps us to entrust our problems to the Lord. Also, devotions such as the Rosary and the Rosary of Divine Mercy can help us find inner peace.
Before analyzing your daily habits, here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Try to go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning. Experts recommend going to bed between 10 pm and midnight, and waking up 7 to 8 hours later. If your obligations do not permit you, at least try to be consistent with the times you go to sleep and get up in the morning. Also, say goodnight to all of your loved ones to not get disturbed in a midnight this website will help you to pick the best good night messages.
- Avoid drinking caffeine after 15 hours.
- Insulate your room (or bed if you live in a small apartment). It is important to have a space dedicated solely to sleep for your brain to associate the room with sleeping. This involves avoiding watching TV or working on your computer in your room.
Start getting ready 30 minutes before going to bedHow many times have you answered the last e-mails of the day just before going to bed? Then you go to bed and ... surprise! Your brain is still working and you cannot fall asleep.
In his book Six Steps to Sleep, Peter Litchfield suggests, "Start getting ready 30 minutes before going to bed. Take your time. Do not rush. Complete at least four of the activities I will offer you. Be methodical and enjoy the last moments of your day. "
Peter Litchfield says it's important to repeat the same activities every night. This routine will encourage the brain to go into sleep mode, reduce brain activity, and relax.
9 tips before going to sleepEach of us has a particular lifestyle. I suggest you include in your evening habits some of its elements, according to your possibilities:
1. Lock the house and turn off all the lights
A key considers control sleep and your biological clocks are exposed to light or to darkness, therefore, falling asleep with lights on may not be the most effective thing for an honest night's sleep. ... too much light, right before hour might stop you from obtaining a good night's sleep.
2. Store your roomThe external order contributes to the inner order. Make sure your things are tidy and get what you need the next morning.
3. Brush your teeth
When and how usually do you have to brush your teeth? The American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste. after you brush your teeth, you help take away food and plaque — a sticky white coating that forms on your teeth and contains bacteria.
4. Take a good hot showerDo you remember "bath time"? Peter Litchfield says it's also a great time for adults. When we were little, "bath time" was the time to get ready for bed. After bathing, we put on the pyjamas, the last action of the day. This routine, deeply rooted in us, can be used to trigger a bath-sleep association. "Wash yourself" of your day with a shower or a hot bath. Think of this activity as if you are clearing not only the dirt of your skin but also the stress of your mind. It is essential to draw a mental line between day and night.
5. Wear comfortable clothes for the night
- Nightdress is forever very comfortable to wear in bed. however, let me tell you an extra thing. you'll go to sleep while not wearing anything. It sounds funny no? yes, it will, however, researchers say that sleeping naked will offer you a really nice sleep. you'll invariably wake up fresh.
6. Drink a herbal tea
- A clinical study has revealed that chamomile can reduce the level of anxiety in humans. A 2011 study, published in the journal Emotion, suggests that hot drinks can help people feel less lonely and safer - two factors that can contribute to a peaceful sleep.
7. Diary and Examination of Conscience
- Do you often see the ceiling of your bedroom suddenly turning into a picture that reminds you of all the things you have to solve? All the little fears and anxieties you've managed to keep under the carpet during the day come back to the surface at that moment.
- Writing our thoughts on a notebook can help us find peace after a hectic day. Peter Litchfield recalls that: "Writing on an empty page of the brain helps to achieve mental clarity and moves forward. Things may seem much clearer and simpler when we have them in front of us. "
- Try to mentally walk through your day and see what God could have said to you at that particular moment. Remember your little victories of the day and your defeats. Take a mental note or make a written list of some of your weaknesses or some of your seemingly repetitive sins, and keep it for your next confession. Finally, put everything in the hands of the Lord, and when you can recite the prayer of the publican: "My God, show yourself favourable to the sinner that I am!
8. The evening prayer
- If you have time, you can add your diary and your self-examination in the evening prayer.
9. Short evening reading
- Choose readings that do not excessively stimulate your brain, such as stories that keep your mind away from the problems of everyday life. I would advise you for example stories and biographies of saints.
What if I cannot fall asleep?
- For those who struggle to fall asleep, the worst thing is to become anxious about not being able to sleep. We are thus entering a vicious circle. Here are a few tips:
Avoid looking at your watch. This increases your anxiety!
If you cannot fall asleep after a few hours, get up and go to another room. Read a light book. Then shortly after, go back to bed and try again.
Here are some tips for married couples:
- Try to go to sleep at the same time as your spouse, as this promotes union.
- Try to talk about light and relatively short things. Avoid discussing topics that could lead you to an argument.
- Pray together. Evening prayer can be a good solution.