Driving for a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft is an exciting opportunity to earn extra money. Not only do you get to make money, but you get to do it on your own schedule and from the comfort of your personal Vehicle — no cubicle or office required.
But what if your car doesn’t meet the vehicle requirements for Uber and Lyft? While the requirements aren’t super strict, some cars won’t qualify because they’re a bit too old or don’t meet the required passenger capacity. This can be frustrating, leading you to despair that you’ll never be able to work as a rideshare Driver.
Luckily, just as rideshare companies arose to make it easier to get around, other companies have arisen to make it possible to rent a vehicle for rideshare driving. One of the most promising of these companies is Hyrecar. In this article, we’re going to examine what HyreCar is, how it works for drivers, and how car owners can use the app to earn passive income.
- What Is HyreCar?
- How Does HyreCar Work?
- HyreCar Driver Requirements
- How Much Does HyreCar Cost?
- HyreCar FAQ
What Is HyreCar?
HyreCar is a peer-to-peer car rental service that targets rideshare drivers. The company aims to solve two main problems. First and foremost, they seek to give people a vehicle they can use to drive for ridesharing services. Additionally, HyreCar helps vehicle owners (both individuals and car dealers) earn extra money through renting out their unused cars.
HyreCar thus has a distinct sharing economy business model that mixes elements of a car rental platform with the convenience of Airbnb. It takes the already popular concept of car-sharing and applies it to a commercial vehicle rental service. The result is a win for vehicle owners, rideshare drivers, and rideshare companies.
How Does HyreCar Work?
The process of using HyreCar is simple whether you’re a vehicle owner or vehicle renter. The first thing to understand about how it works is that HyreCar is flexible and has no long-term contracts. In this way, it’s different from leasing a car or even from renting one from a company like Enterprise or Hertz. It’s therefore an attractive option if you’re just looking to give ridesharing a try for a few days or weeks.
To get started using HyreCar as a driver or vehicle owner, all you have to do is visit the HyreCar website and sign up with your email address. The site will then ask you if you’re looking to rent a car or list a car. From there, the steps will vary depending on what you choose.
If you’re signing up as a driver, then here are the steps you need to follow:
- Enter your location and browse the list of cars available. Once you’ve found one you like, you can request to book it.
- From there, HyreCar will run a background check to ensure that you can be trusted with the car. This will only take a few hours, and it’s only necessary for new drivers to the platform.
- The car owner will now be able to review your application and approve it.
- Assuming they approve your application, HyreCar will then send you the three documents that you need to upload for your Uber driver or Lyft driver application: the vehicle registration, the 19-point vehicle inspection, and proof of insurance.
- You’ll now need to pay for the rental. HyreCar requires upfront payment for the entire vehicle rental period (just the same as with a normal rental car). If you pay using a debit card, you’ll also have to pay a $200 refundable security deposit to cover any issues. For this reason, we recommend using a credit card instead, as this will waive the security deposit requirement.
- The next step is to contact the vehicle owner and arrange to pick the car up. In some cases, the owner may even offer to deliver the car to your location.
- Once you’ve picked up the car, you can start driving and earning. For tips on how to maximize earnings, check out our guides to how to make more money with Lyft and how to make more money with Uber.
- When you’re done using the car, return it to the owner with the same amount of gas as when you picked it up. Be sure to go over any damages that may have occurred, and don’t forget to leave a rating for the vehicle and the owner (this helps keep both parties accountable).
Those are the steps for using HyreCar as a driver, but what if you own a vehicle and want to rent it out? In that case, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Once you’ve signed up with your email address, you’ll need to write a brief description of your car, upload some quality photos of it, and add any necessary Uber or Lyft vehicle inspection documents for your city and state. If you don’t have these, then you’ll need to get an inspection. Learn how to do this for Uber and for Lyft.
- After you have everything uploaded and HyreCar has approved it, you’ll start getting booking requests from drivers. Be sure to respond to requests ASAP, as they expire after 24 hours.
- Upon approving the driver’s application, you should now verify that all vehicle registration and inspection documents are up to date. Also, make sure that HyreCar has generated the necessary insurance documents.
- Now, you can set up a time to hand off the car to the driver. When you meet them, be sure that they have a current driver’s license (HyreCar will verify this too, but it never hurts to double check). Also, make note of the current mileage and fuel level. Assuming everything looks good, you can give the driver the keys and let them be on their way.
- Now comes the best part: getting paid. Because HyreCar charges drivers up front, you’ll receive your payment as soon as the driver picks up the vehicle.
- After the rental ends, you should arrange a time for the driver to return the car. Make sure to inspect it for any damage or other issues, and make note of that when you leave a review for the driver.
HyreCar Driver Requirements
If you’re looking to sign up as a driver with HyreCar, you’re probably wondering what the driver requirements are. Luckily, they’re all quite simple, and they’re no different than those to drive for Uber or Lyft with your personal vehicle. Here are the requirements that HyreCar drivers must meet:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Possess a valid, in-state driver’s license
- Have held the driver’s license for at least a year
- Have a working mobile phone
- Have an existing Lyft, Uber, or other on-demand rideshare or courier account
- Pass a background check and DMV check, which will look for DUIs, reckless driving, felonies, and more than two minor moving violations within the last three years
The benefit of all this is that you don’t have to worry about the pesky Uber and Lyft vehicle requirements. Instead, you can just focus on getting your personal info approved and starting to drive.
How Much Does HyreCar Cost?
The other big question that drivers have is how much HyreCar costs. The short answer is that there is not one set price, as the car owners set the rental fee they want to charge. In general, nicer cars will command higher fees, while more basic rental options will cost less.
In practice, rentals typically range from $25 to $55 per day. For instance, here’s a look at some prices for vehicles for rent in Chicago:
Note that you can also generally get a discount for renting by the week or by the month. For instance, you get a 27 percent discount on monthly rentals of the 2013 Ford Fiesta shown in the above photo compared to renting it by the day.
To conclude this guide, here are answers to some common questions about HyreCar.
1. Where is HyreCar available?
HyreCar is available in all 50 of the United States, as well as the District of Columbia. It is not currently available outside the U.S.
2. Does HyreCar include insurance?
Each HyreCar rental includes an insurance policy to protect both the vehicle owner and driver. The policy provides $100,000 in liability insurance and $25,000 in physical damage insurance. For any damages the occur, the vehicle driver will be required to pay a $2,500 deductible.
Also, be aware that HyreCar’s insurance policy is meant to serve as a supplement to the policies that Uber, Lyft, and any other apps you drive for have in place. When you’re completing a job for one of these services, their insurance policies supersede that of HyreCar.
HyreCar’s insurance mainly exists to protect drivers when they have picked up the vehicle form the owner but are not using it for work purposes. The policy also provides partial coverage when drivers have the rideshare or delivery app on but have not yet accepted a request.
3. Can I use HyreCar for delivery services?
Yes, you can. While HyreCar is mainly aimed at Uber and Lyft drivers, you can also use it to make deliveries for Postmates, DoorDash, and any other delivery service that will let you use a vehicle you’ve rented through HyreCar. You should always check with HyreCar and the specific delivery company to ensure that the vehicle you’re using meets their requirements.
Get on the Road Faster With HyreCar
We hope this guide has helped you understand how you can start using HyreCar to either earn money as a rideshare driver or earn some extra cash for renting your unused vehicle. Services like HyreCar are changing the way people work and earn money, and we’re excited to see what innovations this company comes up with next.
The post The Complete Guide to HyreCar appeared first on Rideshareapps.