Aadhaar is something which has become an essential document, whether it’s to establish identity or avail the government’s security schemes or for financial matters or keeping your bank account active. According to a circular which was issued by the Department of Telecom (DoT) in March, Aadhaar based e-KYC was made mandatory for new mobile phone connections. The circular directed the Telecom companies to re-verify the existing user base pre-paid and post paid using the subscriber’s unique Aadhaar identity Number and biometric details. The telecom companies have been given appropriate time to get this thing done. Some of us also have received a message asking to link our Mobile Number to our Aadhaar Cards. So it is necessary to link your existing valid mobile number to Aadhaar to keep using the services and avoid any issues in the future.
So, if you are linking your mobile number to Aadhaar for the first time, this needs to be done offline. Most online transactions are OTP (one-time-password) authenticated that is the OTP is sent to the registered mobile number. Obviously, online authentication is not possible as you are linking your number for the first time.
To do this offline you need to follow these steps:
– Visit your nearest Aadhaar centre to get the Aadhar Update or Correction Form or download it from the UIDAI website.
– Fill out the form correctly, submit it at the centre and mention on the form that only mobile number is to be updated.
– When submitting the update form along with photocopy of your Aadhaar card, provide photocopy of an Identity proof document such as PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID card.
– During the submission your biometrics will be verified at the enrolment centre. Your thumb impression will be verified. While applying for Aadhaar your biometrics will be recorded and to authenticate the changes they are verified.
– After verifying the biometrics you will be given an acknowledgement slip. It will take up to 2-5 working days for the updation to happen but as per the UIDAI helpline the turnaround time for the updation is 10 days.
– Updating of your mobile number can be done online but make sure that your existing number is linked to your Aadhaar, is active and handy before you go for the online update. This is because the OTP to authenticate the updation would be sent to your existing number. You will be able link your new mobile number with Aadhaar only after submitting the OTP sent on your old number.
– On the UIDAI website there’s an option under the Aadhaar Update tab that will redirect the user to the Aadhar Self Service portal.
– Enter the Aadhar number and Captcha text and request for OTP. The OTP will be sent to your existing mobile number and after submitting it you’ll be redirected to a new page, where you can update the details.
– Under Select field(s) to update, select Mobile Number. Now enter your new mobile number that you want to record in the database and submit.
This post first appeared on Tricity Events | Chandigarh Mohali Panchkula Events, please read the originial post: here