The first planned city of India which has been beautifully designed by popular French architects, Chandigarh is known for its beauty, architecture, uniquely build gardens, scenic beauty in and around the city etc. Each year, the city beautiful attracts thousands of visitors to explore its clean and calm surroundings. Now in the list of smart cities Chandigarh is said to have quality lifestyle and high standards in terms of living and development. There are many popular places to visit in the tricity which are worth exploring. One such place is Punjab Cricket Stadium a world class venue with many built in facilities.
Punjab Cricket Association popularly known as PCA is a home to IPL team Kings XI Punjab Team. In 1990, the association came up with a plan to build a cricket ground at Mohali. The stadium was opened in 1993 during its first Hero Cup ODI match. Designed by Arun Loomba and constructed by R.S construction company, PCA took almost 3 years to complete. Spread over thousand acres of land it is situated on the outskirts of Chandigarh in Mohali, Punjab. The stadium has the capacity to accommodate 30,000 spectators all at once.
PCA is considered as the best cricket stadium across the country. The stadium has a fabulous infrastructure, viewer friendly seating, great practice facilities etc. It has 16 floodlights as compared to other cricket stadiums. The reason behind this is that the floodlight pillars build are very low in terms of height. This is to avoid the collision between the aircrafts and floodlights. So, the number of pillars is kept high as compared to their height.
Facilities at Punjab Cricket IS Bindra Stadium Mohali
Apart from the playing area the stadium has a restaurant which offers world class cuisines and drinks. At the entrance there is lobby area from where there is a passage to the restaurant. The restaurant is filled with collages and images of former and current cricketers. The food and service here is excellent. Also, there is Swimming Pool, tennis court, gym and dressing rooms for players.
Matches at PCA
- After establishment the first match played at the Punjab Cricket IS Bindra Stadium was in the year 2003. The match was between India and South Africa during Hero Cup.
- The first test match was held between India vs West Indies in December 1994.
- The First Test of Freedom Trophy 2015 was played at PCA, Mohali between Indian vs South Africa. India won this match with a huge margin.
- In February 1996, the most famous ODI was played here between Australia and West Indies. It is said to be the most thrilling match.
- The semi-final match was played here between Indian and Pakistan in March, 2011. The most popular match was attended by the Former Prime Minister of India Honorable Manmohan Singh and Yousaf Raza Gillani of Pakistan. India won this match.
Punjab Cricket IS Bindra Stadium has been popular and favorite venue to many local and international matches held in India. This place is worth visiting for all the cricket enthusiasts.
This post first appeared on Tricity Events | Chandigarh Mohali Panchkula Events, please read the originial post: here