If not planned properly, a household move can cause a series of unpleasant situations and difficulties. Hiring local movers may significantly relieve the Moving stress, but if you are a good planner you can also pack up your entire household like a professional. Our comprehensive guidelines will help you pack your household belongings step by step and move to the new location in no time.
Each room should be considered as a unique task that requires special approach. Although a household move is an undertaking we never look forward to, we all should have an efficient plan of action when it comes to Packing the entire household room by room. Where to start first and which room to prioritize is one of the most common concerns when you are about to move house.
– First pack rooms you least need since they contain items that you don’t use on a daily basis. If you are moving during the summertime, feel free to pack winter clothes, accessories and Christmas decorations first.
– Decluttering is the very first step towards packing up your entire household quickly and efficiently. Hold a garage sale or give unnecessary items to charities in order to have a smooth moving experience. Moving to a new place is a great opportunity to get rid of old and unwanted items. In case your new home cannot accommodate some items that you are not ready to leave behind, you can rent an affordable storage unit.
Bare in mind that some of the best moving companies in NYC also offer free storage services, so make sure you contact reputable movers in NYC and find out how you can store your treasured belongings.
How to pack and move a kitchen
When you start packing the kitchen, you will realize that some rooms are more problematic to pack than others. For some people kitchen is the most demanding unit due to numerous small, fragile and hard-to-pack items.
– Get variety of packing supplies – moving boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, packing, tape, markers.
– Use or dispose of all perishables. Certain products are not allowed in a moving truck, so make sure you know everything about them in advance.
– Make moving easier by dismantling some large items like dinning table or shelves.
– Use the original packaging to pack and move delicate china and glassware. Chances are that you haven’t saved it, so wrapping each item individually using a lot of bubble wrap and cushioning material may keep your fragile items safe while in transit.
– Clean all small appliances like toasters, food processors and blenders and make sure to remove all sharp blades and tie the cords.
How to pack and move a bathroom
Bathroom appears to be one of the most problematic premises to pack and move, since many of the bathroom items you will need up until the moving day.
– Empty all cupboards, cabinets, drawers and sort through your toiletries, accessories, medications, cleaning products, linens,… Decide what’s worth moving and what can be easily replaced once you reach your new home.
– Throw away almost empty bottles and everything that’s past its date. Also, dispose of any hazardous items that are not allowed in a moving truck – solvents, aerosol cans, nail polish remover, cleaning products,…
– Make sure all bottles are clean, dry and properly closed before you start packing. Put already opened bottles in plastic bags in order to prevent leaking.
– Fragile bathroom items should be wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap and other protective materials.
– Dry bathroom towels, linens and curtains may be used as an additional protection and cushioning material for some delicate and breakable items.
How to pack a living room
– Remove dust from all electronics, unplug them, wrap the cables and mark them if necessary so that you can connect them easily once you reach your new home.
– Use original packaging and manufacturer’s manual to pack your appliances safely. If you haven’t saved them, you can purchase specialty electronics boxes from your local movers.
– Empty all the drawers, cupboards and shelves and determine what should be moved and what should be discarded.
– Securing and packing fragile items is a tedious task, so make sure you use proper packing supplies (bubble wrap, packing paper, packing peanuts) to keep your precious heirlooms, photo frames and decorations safe while in transit.
– If you are downsizing, chances are that some furniture pieces won’t fit into your new home. So, take your time to locate the most convenient and affordable storage facility nearby where you can put the furniture you may need at some point. Alternatively, you can donate or sell everything that you cannot move to the new place.
– Wall decorations, mirrors and paintings are very delicate items that require special attention and care. If you own some very expensive paintings and artworks, you may want to hire professional packers to assist you so as to make sure your valuables reach the new destination undamaged.
How to pack a garage
While some of the moving tasks seem very straightforward, packing and moving a garage is quite a challenge. The packing process may take longer than expected, so start arranging your garage well in advance, as soon as you decide to move.
– The rule of thumb – get rid of the items you no longer need and make the whole relocation process easier on you. It doesn’t make sense to pack and move the tools that you won’t be using in the future and now you have a perfect opportunity to make your new place clutter-free and have a clean slate.
– Garages and storage areas typically contain a lot of different tools and oddly-shaped items, so start by grouping items according to the shape, size and purpose.
– Dispose of all non-allowables – car batteries, cleaning solvents, gasoline, oils, paints, pesticides, propane tanks and other hazardous materials. Movers will refuse to transport those items due to safety reasons.
– Prepare a lot of padding materials, bubble wrap, sturdy moving boxes, packing tape, moving blankets,…
– Dismantle and clean the outdoor furniture and equipment- patio furniture, children’s playground, grill, umbrella,… All sharp items should be wrapped with several layers of bubble wrap (garden tools, rakes, shovels,…).
– Empty fuel from the lawn mower, chainsaw and remove the propane tank from the grill.
– Hold a garage sale prior to the move so as to get rid of all unnecessary items and get extra cash.
– Moving companies usually refuse to move plants so you should figure out what to do with them before the moving day.
How to move a bedroom
– Start with the small items and remember – pack light items in big boxes and heavy objects in small boxes.
– Go through all your possessions in order to determine what needs to be moved. Afterwards you will know the approximate amount of moving supplies you will need to get in order to have everything covered.
– Delicate and breakable items need special handling, so make sure you use a lot of bubble wrap to protect them throughout the relocation process.
– Sort through your wardrobe, lay your clothes out and decide which garments are not worth moving. Donate outdated or outgrown clothes in good condition and throw out torn or too old garments.
– Out-of-season and specialty clothes should be packed first.
– Pack an essentials bag with the clothes you will need during the move and upon arrival at your new place.
– The weight of the clothes happens to be underestimated, so it is highly recommended to use small boxes to move your clothing.
The post Room by room packing and moving tips appeared first on Dumbo moving and Storage NYC.
This post first appeared on Dumbo Moving And Storage NYC | Movers Brooklyn New, please read the originial post: here