Want to spice up your normal batch of ice cream? Add in some red velvet to give this Ice Cream a new twist. Its beautiful pop of red velvet and swirls of cream cheese icing make this ice cream an enjoyable frozen dessert to devour on.
- Makes: About 10 servings
EditFor the Ice Cream:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
EditFor the Cream Cheese Icing:
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a blender, blend the cream cheese, heavy cream, sugar, milk, salt, cocoa powder, and food coloring. Pulse on high power until smooth and bright red.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a bowl and chill for two hours in the fridge.
- Prepare the cream cheese icing. While the ice cream freezes, make the icing. Blend the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Make the ice cream. Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and process by following your ice cream maker's instructions.
- Distribute the processed ice cream in two freezer-proof containers or one large container
- Top 5-6 tablespoons of the icing on the ice cream.
- Gently swirl the ice cream around with a knife.
- Freeze the ice cream until solid and of frozen, taking about 5 hours till overnight.
- Serve. Scoop the ice cream into a serving bowl and garnish with chocolate curls or whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!
- Consider adding chocolate chips to the ice cream for a chocolaty taste.
- If desired, you can leave out the cream cheese icing if you prefer not to add it in.
- For a fruity taste, add strawberries and raspberries into the ice cream.
- For a more vibrant color, use red food coloring gel instead of dye.
- When swirling the icing in the ice cream, avoid over-mixing or else the color of the ice cream will the change and the ice cream will not have any cream cheese swirls.
EditThings You'll Need
- Ice cream maker
- 3 freezer-safe plastic containers
- Rubber spatula
- Ice cream scoop
- Serving bowl
- Make Oreo Ice Cream
- Make Nutella Ice Cream
- Make Honeymoon Ice Cream
- Make Strawberry Ice Cream
EditSources and Citations
- http://thecookierookie.com/red-velvet-ice-cream-with-cream-cheese-icing/ - research source