Melkterts, roughly translated into Milk tarts from Afrikaans, is a South African treat mostly consisting of a pastry stuffed with a creamy filling made from milk, Sugar, flour, and eggs. There are a few ways to make this tasty treat, read on to learn how to make your very own melkterts!
- 1/2 of cup butter, softened
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to .
- Gather all the ingredients listed above as well as the items listed in things you'll need.
- In the medium mixing bowl, cream together one-half cup of butter/margarine and one cup of sugar.
- Into the same bowl, add one egg and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- In the second bowl, mix the two cups of flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mix. Do this until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Take the mix and press it into the bottom and sides of the two 9-inch pie pans.
- Place all of this in your preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Combine milk, vanilla extract, and one tablespoon butter/margarine into the large saucepan.
- Turn the stove onto medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove from the burner once it's boiling.
- In the third bowl, take the 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour, cornstarch, and 1/2 cup of sugar and mix it together.
- Add the two beaten eggs into the sugar mixture.
- Whisk all of this until it comes out smooth.
- Whisk some more. Slowly whisk this mixture into milk.
- Move the pan back to the heat, and bring to a boil, making sure to stir often for five minutes.
- Pour half of the mixture into each pastry shell.
- Chill until set. Chill the dessert before serving.
- Enjoy your creamy treat!
- For added flavor, you could sprinkle cinnamon over the top.
- Adding cream to this milk based tart to serve it could be a bit rich, try a tangy fruit compote such as raspberry or blackcurrant.
EditThings You'll Need
- Three medium sized bowls
- One whisk
- One large (or any sized) spoon
- Two nine inch pie pans
- One large saucepan
- One beater
- Make Custard
- Make Egg Tarts
- Make a Tart Crust
- Make Cream Cheese Tarts
EditSources and Citations