Plan your Thanksgiving workout before the tryptophan gets a chance to beat you! Here are our top 5 reasons to work out on Thanksgiving, including a workout challenge.
5) See your friends at the gym — We love that a smaller gym means more face time with you, and people often say they like how close knit the community is. Take a break from family and come see your FitFam at the gym! (Or bring your family to the gym with you!) Either way, you’re in good company. More people than ever are making a Thanksgiving Workout part of their day.
4) Be grateful for your health, and healthy for being grateful! — If you’re working out, be proud that you’re taking steps to become and stay well, and be grateful for the health you have. In turn, it looks like being grateful is also good for your heart and your overall wellness.
3) It’s a stress buster — Thanksgiving kicks off what can be a stressful season. Also, for some people being around family can be a stressful experience, so come to the gym to work out that stress. Do a Thanksgiving workout, release endorphins and help yourself get better rest with exercise.
2) Have more energy for a long weekend — Exercise boosts your energy level. Since a lot of people are traveling, shopping, cooking, and otherwise keeping busy, working out will help you get through the long weekend with energy to spare.
1) Counter your holiday calorie intake — Thanksgiving is universally hard on the waistline, so hedge your holiday noshing effects with a solid workout. If you think you’ve got it in you, check out our famous Turkey Day workout:
Turkey Day Workout Challenge (aka Turkey Torture)
On Thanksgiving day, you’ll want to perform a Strength Training Workout using higher rep training with shorter rest periods. This is going to help to deplete the glycogen storage in the muscle so that when you do eat your Thanksgiving meal, you can intake a higher level of carbohydrates without having them spill over into the body fat stores.
This will be a full body workout to maximize the calorie burn during the workout, as well as after, and to get those muscles hungry for more carbs. Note that in order to make this process work more effectively, it will be best if you can focus on the lowest fat, highest carbohydrate foods at the Thanksgiving table.
- Begin your Thanksgiving workout by selecting your “turkey” (aka, medicine ball) ONE MILE.
- Then, each menu item that you can perform using your turkey…use it!
50×3 – TURKEY TOSSES (KBS)
30×2 – MASHED POTATOES (ball slams)
20×1 – PUMPKIN PIE PULL-UPS
50×3 – LEFTOVER LUNGES
30×2 – GREEN BEAN BOX JUMPS
20×1 – JELL-O BELLY BUSTERS
50×3 – CHERRY CHOPS
30×2 – CORNBREAD CLEANS
20×1 – DRUM STICK DIPS
50×3 – CRANBERRY CRUNCHES
30×2 – ROPE ROLLS
20×1 – BUTTERED BURPEES
50×3 – STUFFING SQUATS (w/turkey!)
30×2 – SWEET POTATO PUSH-UPS
20×1 – GRAVVVVY GHD (Bessie)
Now…Who wants seconds???
More Resources for the Holidays
Keep the momentum going! Check out these other great articles and workouts to reference during Thanksgiving and the holidays:
- 10 TIPS TO STAYING LEAN OVER THANKSGIVING
- YOUR THANKSGIVING CARDIO AND STRENGTH TRAINING WORKOUT ROUTINE
Friendly reminder: the gym IS open Thursday – 6am to 2pm. See you there!
Photo: courtesy of Abigail Keener
The post 5 Top Reasons to Work Out on Thanksgiving + a Workout Challenge! appeared first on myTRAINER Highland Park.