I am so happy to share with you the home of Abigael Whittaker. She is a lovey soul I met on Instagram and I have been admiring her home and work from a distance for a long while so I was very pleased when she agreed to do a little interview. As well as running a super stylish home, Abi is the creative director for Australian brand Tree of Life, has recently become a mother and is also a very talented artist...... super woman!!!
Hi Abi thank you for taking th time out to talk to us today, can you start by telling us a little bit about where you are currently living?
I live in Brisbane, a smallish city, But dream of the seas! We are so excited to be moving to a treehouse by the sea in the next few months!!
2) What attracted you to your current home ?
Being up high we get to look out to the tree tops and enjoy their breeze, and try to forget the hustle and bustle around us.
3) What is your favorite room in the house?
Our big living room which is full of natural light and positively heaving with all my treasures!
4) What is your most treasured item?
Hmmmm. So hard! My mum is a jewellery maker so I have loads of precious creations and heirlooms from her. My most treasured treasures probably change a bit as per my mood but currently I guess it would have to be my mums vintage floor length garnet red velvet coat... with gold trims! She bought it in Morocco in the 70s and it is truly as divine as it sounds.
5). What does 'home ' mean to you?
Home had always been where my treasures live. They form so many of my memories from travel, loved ones and times of my life. I remember I heard someone once say "Home is where you lay your head" and I think that's such a nice sentiment too. It's just that my home tends to be the amazing textiles upon which I lay my head!
6) your job takes you in many adventures what items do you take to help you feel at home wherever you go?
Fabulous jewellery and a big comfy scarf that can double as a blanket or bedspread! Whatever i'm wearing and wherever I'm going jewellery and accessories always make me feel myself.
7) Where do you source your home furnishings
Tree of Life of course! But also on my travels I tend to hoard textiles of all kinds to layer on beds, couches and floors... any surface I can find!
8) what has inspired your style? My mum for sure, who has such an incredible Style of her own as an artist and designer herself and someone who has lived and traveled through the 60s and 70s!! Amazing! And also my job and the immense opportunities I have been given to travel. I'm so inspired by the textures of other lands, the colours, the prints, the fabrics!!!
9)Where would your dream home be? By the sea! I would just love love love to be able to walk to the beach from my wooden home that is filled with plants and colour and all the pattern and prints!
10) What was the last item you brought? Probably nappies! But the last exciting item I brought was a gorgeous clay pink Serape from Tree of Life. Perfect for winter breastfeeding, as a blanket and as a throw.
11) if you could teleport : time travel where would you go to grab some home furnishings? Morocco! And then a quick stop off to Mexico. Oh my goodness and I would LOVE to go to Afghanistan and load up their incredible jewellery. I imagine Afghanistan in the seventies and my heart bursts!
12) You style for tree of life, how did you get into styling?
My adventure with Tree of Life has been quite organic so that I've just easily swapped from styling to visual merchandising to buying. They all inform each other so that has worked out nicely. I studied Fashion Design at university which helped too. I think when the style of a company or project is so close to your personal style it makes sense for you to be able to really invest yourself in to it.
Tree of Life and I are a bit like an intricate tapestry these days!
13) any tips for budding home stylists?
Gather what you love! If you feel like you've got some gaps you need to fill gather inspiration from people and places you love and seek out those really key pieces.
All images found via Abi's instagram @abrac_dabra