March this year sees the release of Robert Altman‘s psychological horror masterpiece, IMAGES, as it heads to Blu-ray thanks to Arrow Academy.
Regarded as one of, director, Robert Altman’s greatest masterpieces, Images is a tour de force of psychological horror. Dealing with hallucinations and apparitions, the film deftly blends reality with nightmare as Susannah York’s children’s author is terrorised by visions of mayhem and murder. On its release, Images reaped accolades although it has now become one of Altman’s lesser-known works, so this Arrow Academy release marks the perfect time to rediscover it.
With the movie directed by Robert Altman (The Long Goodbye, Gosford Park, McCabe & Mrs. Miller) and starring Susannah York (Superman, The Shoot Horses, Don’t They?, A Man for All Seasons) and Rene Auberjonois (MASH, Certain Women, TV’s Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), this is a movie that most film fans will want in their collection.
Images, a remarkable masterpiece
The early seventies were a period of remarkable activity for Robert Altman, producing masterpiece after masterpiece. At the time he came to make Images, MASH and McCabe & Mrs. Miller were behind him, with The Long Goodbye, California Split and Nashville still to come.
The movie was originally conceived in the mid-sixties, Images concerns a pregnant children’s author (Susannah York, who won the Best Actress award at the Cannes Film Festival) whose husband (Rene Auberjonois) may or may not be having an affair. While holidaying in Ireland, her mental state becomes increasingly unstable resulting in paranoia, hallucinations and visions of a doppelgänger.
With a soundtrack scored by an Oscar-nominated John Williams (Star Wars), with “sounds” by Stomu Yamash’ta (The Man Who Fell to Earth), Images also boasts the remarkable cinematography of Vilmos Zsigmond (Close Encounters of the Third Kind).
Images Blu-ray, packed with special features
The release of Images on Blu-ray comes with a host of special features, which include.
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Carmen Gray and an extract from Altman on Altman
- Brand-new 4K restoration from the original negative, produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original English mono audio (uncompressed LPCM) soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Audio commentary by Samm Deighan and Kat Ellinger
- Scene-select commentary by writer-director Robert Altman
- Interview with Robert Altman
- Brand new interview with actor Cathryn Harrison
- An appreciation by musician and author Stephen Thrower
- Theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil
Images is heading to Blu-ray on the 19th March and will be available from Amazon.
The post IMAGES, Robert Altman’s psychological Horror Masterpiece Heads to Blu-ray appeared first on Blazing Minds by Karen Woodham