Ajax chief executive officer and former United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has played down on talks linking with a return back to Manchester United.
Van Der Sar is reportedly a target for the Premier League club as they seek to appoint their first sporting director.
The red devils have experienced difficulties in the transfer market since the 2013 retirement of managerial great Alex Ferguson, under whom Van Der Sar played.
Read also: AC Milan Targets 21-Year-Old Spain Midfielder, Dani Olmo In January’
Van der Sar has helped mastermind stunning success for Ajax, who won the domestic double last term as well as reaching the Champions League semi-finals.
But a move back to the Premier League does not appear to be on the cards for the 48-year-old, who was asked about the links to United after playing in Vincent Kompany’s Manchester City testimonial on Wednesday.
“No, I’m focused on my job as chief executive at Ajax,” Van der Sar told reporters.
“We had a fantastic year in Europe last year, also won the league in Holland.
“We want Ajax at a higher European level and making sure we get back to the elite. That’s what we’re working on.
“I’m enjoying my time at Ajax. We touched the top level last year and we have to make sure we have the best opportunity to stay there.”
Read also: Mourinho Recounts Best Days At Madrid, Says Ronaldo ‘Ll Still Score At 50
Up next Manchester United who have won just one of their opening four Premier League matches this season following a 1-1 draw at Southampton will welcome unbeaten Leicester City to Old Trafford on Saturday.
The post Van der Sar plays down United return speculations appeared first on YawaNews.ng.