Located east of Guelph on Highway 7, this small town has the Grand River Conversation Authority park which features camping, hiking, a beach for swimming in the Eramosa River and the ruins of the Harris Woolen Mill near the dam and waterfall.
dam and waterfall
looking towards the small islands in the Eramosa River
The river is also perfect for canoeing or kayaking as you can coast between small islands and float along steep limestone cliffs. Popular with weddings and large groups is the ruins of the old mill. Only parts of the walls remain now, with paths throughout the large complex.
Several Harris brothers started the original mill in 1867 which burned down and was replaced with a stone structure in 1884. The mill closed down in 1925 and became part of a private park which later was acquired by the Grand River Conservation Authority. Another fire in the 1960s further destroyed the mill which was partially restored in 2010.
See more of the ruins after the jump.