The second woman in the Famous Italian Singers series is no other than Gianna Nannini. The beloved Italian rockstar is a fierce and strong woman who took the music industry by storm. Are you curious about her road to fame? Then read on.
A Star Is Born
Gianna Nannini was born in Siena in 1956. While going to a high school with a STEM focus (liceo scientifico), she also learned how to play the piano in the Luigi Boccherini Conservatory. In 1975, she moved to Milan where she started her musical career by signing a contract with Ricordi. Today, Gianna Nannini lives with her daughter and her partner Carla in London. They moved there after she gave birth to her first and only child at the age of 54 in Milan.
At 20 years old she released her first album, named simply Gianna Nannini. It wasn’t until her third album (California) though that she really became known across Italy. The songs were decidedly a lot was more rock than her previous ones. The song America from that album became her breakthrough song. It climbed quickly in the charts and became a modern classic. She had to wait for her sixth album (Puzzle) to break through internationally though. The single Fotoromanza became a summer hit in Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. It remained number 1 in the charts for two consecutive months. The song also won numerous awards for the best lyrics of the year. The song that most people to this day know best from Gianna Nannini was released in 1986: Bello e impossibile.
Gianna Nannini remains professionally active to this day. Just take a look at how many of the biggest hits below are within the past ten years. Her latest album Amore Gigante was released on October 27, 2017. It was released in 5 different versions with different covers and different musical content. Its first single Fenomenale had 500,000 views on YouTube within just 10 days of publication.
- Most successful albums: Io e Te (2011), Hitalia (2014), Dream – Solo i Sogni Sono Veri (2009) and Inno (2013)
- Most successful singles: Sei nell’anima (2006), Ogni tanto (2010), Fenomenale (2017), Meravigliosa creatura (1995)
- Nannini has written soundtracks to two movies: Sconcerto Rock and Momo.
- The famous Italian singer appeared in the movie Sogno di una notte d’estate, a musical version of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- She obtained a degree in philosophy and graduated with distinction in 1994, when she was already a famous singer.
- In 1990, Gianna Nannini recorded a song with Edoardo Bennato entitled Un’estate italiana (= Italian summer). It was the official 1990 FIFA World Cup song. Both singers performed it together during the opening ceremony. The royalties were donated to Amnesty International.
- She has written an autobiography called “Cazzi miei” (which translates to It’s my business! or None of your fucking business! if you want to be more crass).
- The artist has performed on stage and recorded songs with numerous famous Italian singers including the following:
- Jovanotti (song: Io Senza Te)
- Andrea Bocelli (song: Ama Credi E Vai)
- Fabri Fibra (song: In Italia)
- Laura Pausini (song: Inedito)
Want more news about Italian music? You could read more about other Famous Italian Singers. Or you could read about the 2018 fall hits that are currently in the Italian charts!
This post was brought to you in collaboration with regular guest author Magdalena Osiejewicz. Magdalena was born in Poland and lives in South Africa. She has a great passion for learning languages – apart from her native language and English she speaks Italian and French fluently. Italian is Magdalena’s favorite language and she loves the Italian food and people. She has lived in Palermo and in Bologna.
Stay in touch with My Italian Inspiration. You can follow along on Facebook and Twitter. And course, we’d love for you to sign up for our newsletter:
The post Famous Italian Singers: Gianna Nannini appeared first on My Italian Inspiration.