A couple days ago Marvel released the March 2018 solicitations that suggest long time Amazing Spider-Man writer Dan Slott might be leaving the title after his almost ten-year run. Shortly after that Dan Slott accidentally posted a tweet that could contain a major spoiler for the story.
According to the March 2018 solicitations from Marvel Dan Slott will be kicking off his final Amazing Spider-Man arc that month. Starting in issue #797 the story is called "Go Down Swinging" and is illustrated by Stuart Immonen. Part of the text in the solicitation reads, “Dan Slott has saved his most harrowing Spider-Man story for last.” The Green Goblin is supposed to return and there is mention of a new character called the Red Goblin.
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #797
- DAN SLOTT (W) • STUART IMMONEN (A)
- Cover by ALEX ROSS
- CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY TBA (1 of 5)
- DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY TBA
- MIGHTY THOR VARIANT COVER BY CLAYTON CRAIN
- REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY TBA
- B&W REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY TBA
- GO DOWN SWINGING Part 1
- The Green Goblin is back — and scarier than ever! Dan Slott has saved his most harrowing Spider-Man story for last as he and Stuart Immonen kick off the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN story ten years in the making. Osborn got his crazy back and has a plan that’ll make all his past plans look like child’s play. Peter Parker and the people he loves (ALL of them) are in deep trouble. And who or what is the RED GOBLIN?! The only way Spider-Man survives is to GO DOWN SWINGING!
- 32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
Now the interesting part is that on December 19 writer Dan Slott posted a tweet that apparently was meant to be a direct message to Marvel editor Nick Lowe where he asks him to look into a website that mentions the Osborne/Mephisto pact. The tweet has since been deleted. But we got it for you right here.
Of course Slott has tried to mislead fans in the past via deleted tweets and public DM's. So all we can do right now is speculate how this might all play out.