What is prediabetes?
Prediabetes is a ‘pre’ or initial diagnosis of diabetes; more like a warning sign. It means your sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes yet. It is also commonly known as insulin resistance.
Can prediabetes lead to diabetes and other health conditions?
If not taken care of on time, prediabetes can grow into type 2 diabetes or other health issues such as heart disease or stroke.
There are no clear symptoms for prediabetes, but if you have more than one of the following, do speak with your doctor.
Image Credit: healthcuretips
- Increased thirst
- Wounds or cuts take longer to heal
- Vision changes
- Excess fatigue
What causes it?
When you eat, the insulin hormone helps the sugar from the blood to reach the cells, which gives you energy. This also helps to keep your Blood Sugar Levels under control. When you have prediabetes, the cells are not able to respond to insulin and blood sugar levels go out of control.
You could have a higher chance of being diagnosed with prediabetes in case of:
Image Credit: drannwellness
- Bigger waist size or more fat accumulation around the waist even if you are otherwise lean (more than 40 inches for males and more than 35 inches for females)
- Not having enough exercise
If you’ve been diagnosed with it:
- Start exercising right away, even something as simple as a 30 minute walk.
- Try reducing overall body weight by 5 to 7 percent as this can reduce chances of diabetes by almost 58 percent.
- Go for regular doctor appointments and tests as recommended.
- Eat more fibre rich foods and less starch based fruits. Some good choices are spinach, carrots, green beans, leafy green vegetables.
- Reduced processed foods and have more whole grains such as dalia, brown rice and so on.
In a way, getting diagnosed with prediabetes is better than getting diagnosed with diabetes, because it gives you time to make the necessary changes and take the required precautions that can prevent diabetes.
Read Also: Are You At Risk Of Getting Diabetes?
DISCLAIMER: While we have taken steps to check the accuracy of information & practices shared here; it is not a replacement for a doctor’s opinion. it is important to first always check with your own doctor before trying any medication, practice or suggestion from this site.
The post What Is Prediabetes? Does It Mean You Will Have Diabetes? appeared first on HotFridayTalks.
This post first appeared on News, Lifestyle And Entertainment Hangout - HotFridayTalks, please read the originial post: here