With a decline in the number of people indulging in strenuous physical activities and healthy, wholesome food, the number of people suffering from Diabetes has been continuously on a rise. While modern science is still on a lookout for the real causes of this slow and silent killer, Ayurveda seems to have explained some specific reasons.
Some of the common causes of diabetes according to Ayurveda are
- Luxurious and sedentary lifestyle, lack of physical activity and exercise.
- Consistent mental stress and fatigue.
Image Credit: naturalcave
- Excessive foods that increase Kapha dosha like milk and milk products.
- Consumption of foods, drinks and dishes made from new grains, jaggery and curd.
- Eating unwholesome, carbohydrate-rich, sweet foods.
While diabetes is a lifetime disease, efforts can be taken to prevent the diabetic condition from worsening. It is best to have a fixed diet and lifestyle routine so that the ill-effects of the disease can be prevented. Here are some diet and lifestyle tips for people suffering from diabetes.
Lifestyle and Diet tips for Diabetes
- Consume wholesome diet that consists of barley, drumstick, turmeric, garlic, green gram, horse gram, snake gourd, bitter gourd, flesh or meat of animals living in dry lands, rock salt.
- Undergo Ayurvedic detox therapies like Vamana (Emesis), Virechan (Purgation) and Basti (Enema) during every seasonal change based upon the state of doshas in the body. These therapies get rid of the excess doshas and regulate their functions in the body.
Image Credit: healthyenergy
- Since diabetes is a lifestyle disorder, it needs to be corrected with strenuous exercise, brisk walking, Yoga and Pranayam.
- Eat at least 3 meals a day along with one or two snacks evenly spaced out throughout the day.
Image Credit: sulaindianrestaurant
- Spices are known to have good anti-diabetic effects. They improve glucose-tolerance activities. Pepper, asafoetida, garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds, cinnamon and coriander possess anti-diabetic agents. They can be used in the preparation of vegetables by sautéing them in oil, then quickly adding the vegetables and stir-frying them.
Image Credit: healandcure
- Fruits like berries, pomegranates and amla trigger insulin secretion and can be had more frequently than others. Fruits like bananas and mangoes, on the other hand can be consumed in lesser quantities.
- Cut down the consumption of white flour, curd, fish and sweetened milk products.
Having an active life instead of a sedentary one can take you a long way in managing diabetes. It is important to know that diabetes itself isn’t as bad as the long-term effects it leads to, if not managed right from the start.
Read Also: 5 Diabetes Myths Busted
DISCLAIMER: While we have taken steps to check the accuracy of information & practices shared here; it is not a replacement for a doctor’s opinion. it is important to first always check with your own doctor before trying any medication, practice or suggestion from this site.
The post Essentials For People With Diabetes appeared first on HotFridayTalks.
This post first appeared on News, Lifestyle And Entertainment Hangout - HotFridayTalks, please read the originial post: here